electrical problem

I have a 2012 3585RL - just lost power to water heater, microwave and ceiling fan. Tripped and reset breakers, including main on the pedestal - no change. Ideas?

Jimmy

Could be a number of things... Make sure cord is plugged into RV tight, Plugged into Panel tight, could be a problem at the panel itself, can you try next door? Do you have a Generator transfer switch?

jimtoo

I have a 2012 3585RL - just lost power to water heater, microwave and ceiling fan. Tripped and reset breakers, including main on the pedestal - no change. Ideas?

Hi movinalong,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Also check the GFI plug. (Probably near sink in bathroom) It may control the water heater and microwave since they are close to a water source. Also turn breakers off...and reset, sometimes they look OK but are tripped. Are you hooked up to 50 or 30 amp service?

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

ATLJOHN

That happen to me a couple of years ago. Only half my rig had power/ Turned out the campground had to replace the 50 amp plug on the post.

hoefler

Most likely dropped one leg of the 50 amp. Had this happen to me. If you have a 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone that will let you plug into a 30 amp plug, us it to verify it is not your rig. You will only get 30 amp total, but every thing should work.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your microwave, water heater and ceiling fan each have their own breaker. So it sounds like you have been given some good advise from other posters.
Be sure to use your multimeter to verify power from each leg at the pedestal.
If that is good you might want to pull the breaker panel and verify that all the wires are secure on the breakers. Be sure that you are unplugged from the pedestal and if you have a generator be sure that is off.
I bought a dog bone adaptor one time that only allowed power to one leg of the trailer. This was by design. So verify that you get power to both legs from the adapter if you are plugged into 30 amp.
Be sure to let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

WilmanJim

Hi movinaling,

We just completed a 10,000+ journey and didn't have any problems until we got back to Ohio. I plug into the 50 Amp outlet and everything worked fine. We then went away and when we got back we noticed No Clock on Microwave. Further inspection we found we had TV and outlets in the back of our Trailer and the one under the Cupboard near the stove top.
After scratching my head for a while my meter and checked the main breaker only to find the red 120V was missing. I pulled the 50 Amp plug out just far enough to get to the pins and found I had the voltage there but not at the other end meaning an open somewhere.
I have the power reel on our Bighorn so I pulled the cord all the way out and removed the inspection plate and found no Voltage there either.
So I bought a new 50 Plug and cut the old one off and checked the wires and they all checked good with resistance.
After Replacing the 50 Amp plug everything worked great.
Here is a picture of my old original plug. The red wire just pulled out of the crimp. I didn't see where the shield had moved so the wire must have pulled back from inside. Bad Crimp I would guess.

Jim

50amp plug.JPG