Penguin vs Penguin II

PhotoPete

I have a Penguin ac unit in my Edge M21. It's very loud but does the job. I see that Dometic has released a Penguin II. They say in the literature that it's quieter than it's predecessor. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the differences between the Penguin and the Penguin II.

Thanks

Pete

camr

Pete, we have the Penguin in our M-22. I agree with you that it is both loud and effective. Ours can turn the trailer into a meat locker on the hottest days. My biggest complaint is that once the temperature setting is met, the entire unit shuts off. I would like to have the unit shut off the compressor, but keep the fan running. This would keep the air circulating, and keep the white noise consistant. As you well know, when the Penguin starts it's fan, it is loud enough to wake the dead. When replacing the AC, I would look for a unit that would cycle the compressor, not the entire unit.
-Cam

We also have an M-22.

I can vouch for how loud the Penguin unit is, and if you do a quick search of other forums you'll find that owners of other manufacturer's RVs have the same issues with the Penguin.

I also agree that if the fan ran all the time like every other non-ducted AC unit I have ever seen it would help drown out some of the noise. The compressor and fan kicking on at the same time is loud enough to wake us from sleep every time, to the point that we don't run the AC at night because if we do we get no sleep.

I know the Penguins are low profile which is probably why Heartland is using them and they cool quite well but the noise is just way to much in a small trailer application. Its almost enough to make me want to trade off our trailer (which we love in every other way).

PhotoPete

Ok, so after the last two posts, I had to really think about it. I don't believe my unit turns off the fan when the compressor turns off after the set point is met. I think the fan runs to circulate air constantly. I am quite sure of it. Naturally I would run out and double check, but its still in storage. Though i will likely pull it out this week. I can almost taste the campfire!

Pete

wdk450

PhotoPete:
You might try setting the "Fan" switch on the thermostat to "On", then set the function switch to "Cool" (with the thermostat set low enough to cause cooling). This works with my home AC to provide the constant fan with cooling you describe.

PhotoPete:
You might try setting the "Fan" switch on the thermostat to "On", then set the function switch to "Cool" (with the thermostat set low enough to cause cooling). This works with my home AC to provide the constant fan with cooling you describe.

The Penguin doesn't use a remote thermostat. It has a fan only setting, then low cool and high cool. The fan only runs the fan at all times, but no cooling. On the cooling modes the fan cycles with the compressor.

I wonder if you could take the cover off and "hotwire" the fan to stay on? I'm sure that would void the warranty.

Either way, the compressor is what makes the loud rumbling hum that just about runs us out of our camper.

PhotoPete

I'm telling ya, our fan stays on and the compressor just comes on and goes off as needed. I'd bet the bank on it.

I'm telling ya, our fan stays on and the compressor just comes on and goes off as needed. I'd bet the bank on it.

Maybe the controls are different when the Penguin is installed with a remote thermostat instead of the built in controls. I hope you're right because if it does that means that there should be a way for mine to do the same as well.

If the fan stayed on it would cut down on the jolt of the fan and the compressor coming on at the same time waking us all from a dead sleep.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well, I have not heard a thing about the Penguin II. I hope it works well because the dealer has my 5er putting a Penguin II in the bedroom. I hope it turns my bedroom into a meat locker! I'm a fatboy and heat + fatboy = :(

PhotoPete

Maybe the controls are different when the Penguin is installed with a remote thermostat instead of the built in controls. I hope you're right because if it does that means that there should be a way for mine to do the same as well.

If the fan stayed on it would cut down on the jolt of the fan and the compressor coming on at the same time waking us all from a dead sleep.

I don't have a remote thermostat for the ac, only for the heater. I am interested in the findings on the penguin 2, if its a quieter unit and functions well, I might just change mine out.

Pete

Gary521

I don't have a remote thermostat for the ac, only for the heater. I am interested in the findings on the penguin 2, if its a quieter unit and functions well, I might just change mine out.

Pete
The Penguin has different models which will run all the time or cycle depending upon the fan setting on the wall thermostat. The ones without the wall stat will run the fan all the time ( I think ). I have the Penguin II and it has a fairly high fan noise but the fan noise is about the same as the main AC unit. Fan noise being high velocity air. I am not positive but I think the straight Penguin is the heat pump version and the Penguin ll is just the AC. There is not a lot of air difference between the High fan setting and the Low fan setting