Satellite Signal to the Bedroom

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:mad:I have a 2008 Bighorn 3670 and I need to know how to get the Satellite Signal to the Bedroom. There is a connection for satellite in the bedroom, but no signal is there. I have tried to physically trace the coax down in the belly, but that is impossible. Does anyone know the short cut. I cannot understand why these units were not wired for this when built. Just about ready to give up!!!!!!:confused:

jimtoo

HI bsummit,

Where are you trying to get the signal from? If from living room, using just one receiver, then I think you need to run a cable from LR to BR. In the UDC the four sat connectors are 2 from roof for dish installation,,, then the other 2, 1 goes to BR and the other to LR. These would be connected together (jumped across) if you have a rooftop dish. If you have a tripod dish or similar, you could hook direct to these connectors in the UDC so you would need a receiver for BR and receiver for LR.

Jim M

wdk450

:mad:I have a 2008 Bighorn 3670 and I need to know how to get the Satellite Signal to the Bedroom. There is a connection for satellite in the bedroom, but no signal is there. I have tried to physically trace the coax down in the belly, but that is impossible. Does anyone know the short cut. I cannot understand why these units were not wired for this when built. Just about ready to give up!!!!!!:confused:

I also have a 2008 BH 3670 and I frequently use satellite. I use a Dish Network VIP 222K dual tuner receiver. This shares the cable from the UDC to the living room TV where the Dish Receiver is installed. The video/audio signal for the bedroom TV is sent back at a much lower frequency (Cable channel 73) than the incoming dish LMB signals, and the 2 signals can be combined/split apart using special satellite coaxial splitters that have frequency filters in them. This is the same setup the installer installed at my home. I have duplicated this wiring, and bring my home satellite receiver with me when I RV. My setup involves some of these frequency dividing splitters in the entertainment center and in the UDC.

Here is a diagram of the Bighorn Coax wiring from the "Tools" tab at the top of the forum pages, then through submenus "Heartland Owners Manuals", "Electronics", "Coax Layouts". http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Electronics/Coax_Layouts/Bighorn/BH_audio_video_2005-2007.pdf

For 2 satellite receivers, I would put a (Satellite) splitter in before the trailer UDC inputs, run 1 LMB signal to the coax for the rear bedroom, and 1 LMB input to the entertainment center coax.

danemayer

Hi Bsummit,

If you want to have a satellite signal in both the living room and bedroom, here's the ideal situation:
1) Your satellite dish has 2 or more coax feeds coming off the LNB.
2) You hook both feeds to the connectors in the UDC. (There are probably 4 marked satellite; 2 for Living Room, 2 for Bedroom. It's usually the left of each pair, but sometimes can be wired differently. The right of each pair goes to the roof.)
3) You put a separate receiver in the living room and another in the bedroom.

If you have only one coax line coming off the dish, but 2 receivers, then as suggested earlier, you need to split the signal. Best to do so in the UDC so you can then run one line to the living room connector and the other to the bedroom connector. Note that splitters for satellite signals can be difficult. They're not the same as regular TV or Cable splitters and if you have a High Def Dish/Receiver, it can be more difficult to find a splitter that works.

If you have only one receiver, then you need a way to get the output of that receiver to the bedroom. Here's something that might work: If the receiver has a coax output, you can use a regular TV/cable splitter to split the signal coming out of the receiver. One side of the split goes to the living room TV. The other side would go to the TV/Cable coax connector on the wall of the entertainment center. This other end of this coax line is the cable connection in the UDC and the bedroom and basement connectors are in the middle of the run. The TV signal booster would have to be off. I've not tested this, but assuming the splitters Heartland used are bidirectional, it should work, even though signals generally go the other direction on this wire. Of course this also means that while you're hooked up this way, you may not have an over-the-air TV connection to the living room.

If the splitter doesn't have a coax output, you may have a much harder job. As JimToo suggested, you might run a cable from living room to bedroom. It would have to be something matched to the outputs of your receiver and the inputs of your bedroom TV.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Got the problem solved. I only have two satellite connectors in the UDC. I disconnected the second connector behind the UDC and the connector behind the satellite connector in the bedroom and run another 25' coax up thru the floor and behind the drawers in the bedroom and up in the wall to the coax jack. Connected both ends and now I have signal in the bedroom. It should not be this complicated. Thanks to Doug and Roger in the park for the help in completing the project. Thanks for the comments on the thread.