SOLVED - No electric in island

Our electric went out in the island today. Things were working just fine today when we went outside and when we came back in there was no electric. All other outlets on the same circuit are working, checked the wires inside island, all connections look good and no odor from them.

Any ideas where to start looking??

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: No electric in island

The connections to the outlets in your island may be secure, but most likely there is a junction box someplace that feeds to it. Find it and check those connections. Trace the wires from the outlets in the island to find it. Junction boxes are supposed to be accessible.

jbeletti

Hi Wes,

I'd suggest you check the AC junction box with a blank cover on it, mounted to the ODS frame rail under the ODS slide, where you'll see all the wiring for the slide go into the underbelly.

I cannot say with any certainty, but it's possible that the island AC ties in there. Unplug the RV from park power before you start. Remove the blank panel (2 tiny phillips head screws). Then carefully tug the 2 or 3 wire nuts outward so you can inspect the wiring there.

Once, I lost AC power to all 3 slides (all the non-GFI recepts). Turns out the hot lead (black wire) in the wire nut in the junction box under the DS slide was broken. My guess is that when the wire was stripped, the copper was scored and over time, it just snapped at the score line. There were several lines tied together in that wire nut and I elected to change from a red wire nut to a gray one.

If I find out any more on how the island is actually fed, I'll post it here.

Be careful and good luck.

Jim

On edit:
Since the island is in the middle, I guess it could even be fed off the DS junction box. Maybe check both :)

Thanks for the quick replies! I took a flashlight outside and looked under both slides. Found 3 boxes that will have to wait 'til morning. DW informed me that the outlets connected to the island circuit upstairs are also out. Sounds like you guys are correct, hopefully this will be somewhat easy since we plan to leave in the afternoon.

jbeletti

So was that it then Wes - the GFI outlet?

If not, I learned that the island may be wired off the outlet in the utility wall next to the vacuum.

Let us know.

Jim

So was that it then Wes - the GFI outlet?

If not, I learned that the island may be wired off the outlet in the utility wall next to the vacuum.

Let us know.

Jim

The GFCI was the problem. I didn't realize that the bath GFI controlled the island too, I figured it only did the bath and one outlet in the bedroom.

It's humbling to look like a fool every now and then. :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I'm still confused. Why did only some of the outlets on what was described as the same circuit, therefore the same GFCI, fail?

jbeletti

John,

I'm sure all the recepts on the GFI circuit were off. Wes will have to verify, but I don't see how it could be any different.

The real debate was "how is the island recept fed". Now we know - sort of.

Jim

John,

I'm sure all the recepts on the GFI circuit were off. Wes will have to verify, but I don't see how it could be any different.

The real debate was "how is the island recept fed". Now we know - sort of.

Jim

Here's where my confusion over the whole situation began. When the circuit breaker is overloaded, the rear recepts go out along with the ODS slide including the GFCI in the kitchen and the recept under the sink cabinet), the island, the vanity GFCI, and one recept in the bedroom. Resetting the breaker kicks on the power to all. Yesterday only the island went off, or so I thought. The GFCI above the vanity kicked out, something that has never ocurred before, so I ASSUMED (oh that dreaded word) that it wasn't a GFCI since the GFCI was so far from the island.
Now my thinking is that even though all the recepts, accessories, etc. are on the same circuit, the GFCI's are separating individual recepts. After Katrina finishes her coffee I will trip the GFCI in the kithcen to see what is effected.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Normally the ground fault receptacles control any 'wet location'. When you have it tripped, check the outdoor, basement, bath, kitchen and refer receptacles.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

The GFCI was the problem. I didn't realize that the bath GFI controlled the island too, I figured it only did the bath and one outlet in the bedroom.

It's humbling to look like a fool every now and then. :eek:
It seems like a stretch to have so many outlets downstream of a single GFI outlet. I don't know enough about electricity to make a valid statement but I do know that the fridge and exterior outlets are protected by the same GFI. It seems to me it would be easier to just use GFI breakers for the exterior outlets and have individual GFI's at the wet areas.
Could it be there's a way to wire a single GFI Outlet to protect so many others but still have these same outlets covered by more than one breaker?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Could it be there's a way to wire a single GFI Outlet to protect so many others but still have these same outlets covered by more than one breaker?
No.
But you can get a GFI breaker for each circuit. That would cost more $$$.

Peace
Dave