Attaching stuff to the walls

djlogan

I just saw a clip on you tube, and a person demonstrated attaching things to an RV wall using Pop Rivets. Granted that there would certainly be weight limitations, but I tried it with a piece of melamine about the same thickness and composition as an RV wall and it seemed to work. Has anyone out there actually used the pop rivet method?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had some limited experience with pop rivets.
However, these were not the ordinary pop rivets. The had a special end that went into the wall. When the pop rivet tool tightened the rivet it had a large expansion behind the wall. Not just the little bump found on ordinary pop rivets.
That's all I got.

Peace
Dave

RoadJunkie

Rivets will work but I would suggest selective consideration regarding the type of rivet you end up using. A "conventional", hobbyist-type rivet, usually requires a washer placed on the blind side to distribute the load. There are rivets described as "Load Spreading" rivets that will eliminate the need for a backing washer. The Load Spreading rivets also claim they will not crush softer, non metallic, materials. I suggest you do a search for this type of rivet and select based on the thickness of material. Good luck.

Sumo

We use Command Strips from 3m. They keep the pictures on the wall and we can move them without leaving any marks in the wall.

robnmo

We use Command Strips from 3m. They keep the pictures on the wall and we can move them without leaving any marks in the wall.

The wife uses the command strips, in various sizes, but every so often one will fall off the wall, we're assuming due to being on the vinyl wall covering. She's tried using mild soapy water, plain water etc prior to sticking the command strip, is there a secret to making them stay?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Ok, here is the link I started some time ago for the same question. I made the mistake of calling it "wife junk" and 2psnapod1 (Kelly B) scolded me :cool:.

We have been using the command strips to hold things on the wall and velcro to hold things down on the shelf across the back under the flat screen.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also use the CommandStrip for pictures and a shelf above the headboard. So far So good even with the shelf but we are very attentive about how much weight be put on the shelf.

twohappycampers

Hello there! I've never had a command strip come off. I believe the instructions say to use rubbing alcohol to clean the area first.

robnmo

Hello there! I've never had a command strip come off. I believe the instructions say to use rubbing alcohol to clean the area first.

the wife is worried about the alcohol discoloring the wall covering. That's not a problem? I'm getting tired of hearing the arrowhead dream catcher CATCH the floor in the bathroom at 3 am. Nothing ever falls off till early AM. :)

RoadJunkie

Command failure? I used one of the command brushed aluminum hooks in my home shower and prepared my slate tile (smooth surface) by cleaning with rubbing alcohol. While it doesn't get wet from direct water exposure, it is exposed to the humidity of taking a shower. The hook lasted one day--following a day of curing. I used the second included adhesive strip and applied pressure for a minute, or so, and again waited for the adhesive to cure...again. This time it lasted quite a bit longer, but failed again due to humidity (I assume because the towel I was hanging on the hook fell during a shower. It doesn't really look like the adhesive even attempted to adhere as there was no material on the tile and surface of the adhesive looked exactly like it did when installed it. Just a data point, and you may want to consider keeping them away from high humidity.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Ok, here is the link I started some time ago for the same question. I made the mistake of calling it "wife junk" and 2psnapod1 (Kelly B) scolded me :cool:.

We have been using the command strips to hold things on the wall and velcro to hold things down on the shelf across the back under the flat screen.

Ha! You're TOO funny, Rex! We, too, have been using command strips and they're working great!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
the wife is worried about the alcohol discoloring the wall covering. That's not a problem? I'm getting tired of hearing the arrowhead dream catcher CATCH the floor in the bathroom at 3 am. Nothing ever falls off till early AM. :)

Try testing the alcohol on the wall covering in a hidden area such as behind the sofa in corner or inside a cabinet, before using it in an exposed area.