China Bomb - I am beginning to believe.

iefpro01

Well guys – just took my brand new BH 3655RD on its first weekend trip. It was about 300 miles RT. I had a bunch to go wrong – DFW sad she was most definitely not a happy camper. I will figure out later where to put the list of things that went wrong later, but figured that I would put this one out first.
Was about 50 miles from the house, so about 250 over all on the new trailer, notice I keep saying new – LOL. When DW and I hear this loud noise that sounds like one of those old clocks that had the flippers in it. FLAP-FLAP-FLAP, very rapid, about 5 seconds. When it happened we went under a highway information sign, so we thought, hunh that was weird sound for that sign. LOL---- Looked in both mirrors and did not see anything unusual. Well, about 2-3 minutes later a lady comes by making those funny hand signs that no-one has a clue what she means – but I know something has got to be wrong with the trailer, so I immediately start the slow down and pull to the side, looked back and smoke coming out of right rear! First thing I thought of was Curtis Doyle, of our forum, warning about the china bombs!

Well once I got stopped went back and low and behold one blown out tire! I freaked and started checking the trailer for damage – thank the Lord no damage. Now when we first saw the trailer on the dealers lot – I noticed on this very same wheel, the spare was on it. I asked them then and they said oh it had a flat, so we ordered a new tire… Well here I was sitting on the side of the road in the middle of no where on a Sunday to boot. I thought now this tire has less than 300 miles on it and it blows out?!?

Well – I am guessing axle issue here – and I am going to demand a new axle, new wheel and new tire. DW now is scared and wants me to spend the 1100 bucks for the GY’s. That says a lot – DW doesn’t not like to spend money… LOL – got it to the dealer, and the first thing the guy says –wow did you hit something? I said well it must have been a missile coming from the side – since the front tire is just fine and I was traveling 65 down the highway at the time! LOL – he said oh – guess not… Seems funny that they always blame the driver first, yet these tires seem to not handle any kind of stress very well.

BTW I have LoadStars. I also weighed B4 the trip and I was very much under weight. Only had 11, 500 on the back axles, and was 700 under both of the truckaxles.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Did you check the tire pressures before your trip, and what speed were you traveling? ST tires are only rated at 65 mph, experience has shown us that keeping speed down makes big difference in life of tires, etc.

Pulltab

Even I 300 miles if a little under or over inflated the tire should not have failed. If he had been towing with 15lbs in it maybe but down 10 lbs I don't beleive it should have affected it that quick. Unless this is a clue to the weakness of the side walls which is a concern.

iefpro01

Honestly I did not check the tire pressure - since I actually drove right off the dealer lot for the trip. I had checked my truck - but I assumed that the dealer had checked the tire pressures on the trailer. They did not appear low and I checked the other three while waiting for Triple A to come fix the blown one and they were all at 105.
Seriously folks, these tire should not have blown with less than 300 miles even if they were low - I mean come on, if that is the case they really are that sensitive, man are they a piece of crap. I am sorry for the anger here - but good Lord tire pressure can change with heat, friction ambient temperatures and pressures. You would have to pull over every 50 miles to make sure our tire pressure is just right. Tires should not be that sensitive, think about your truck tires, they sure take a lot more abuse. The tires on my truck can run between 45 and 80. High loads you will want 'er between 70 and 80. I usually run them about 75.
Goodyear here I come - and believe me I am very-very unhappy to have to spend an extra grand because my 50K trailer came with cheap tires that now have my wife scared of... I was the first to say that I should give them a try and surly they are not as bad as some are saying... It may have been the axle, but I still say it should have shown tire wear, not blow the dang tire at 250 miles! This is a sign of very weak sidewalls... Heartland - please stop putting these things on the new trailers!

Cooper

I think its the axle when I looked at it at the dealer it looked out of alignment.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
As mentioned in a previous thread, my spare had a bulge and had never been off the trailer. The bulge was on the inside so if it had not been my spare I can see it blowing real quick..../Doug

Tom of Ypsi

Never trust or assume that the dealer or anyone else for that matter put the correct amount of air in your tires. My ex dealer replaced two tires and said I was ready to go. I hooked up and decided to check anyways, the two they replaced on the same side were at 80# and the two on the other side were 110#. No really noticeable to the eye but I had a hunch especially after dealing with this dealer.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When we picked up ours from the dealer, none of the tires had the same pressure. It makes one wonder what damage to the belts occurs just from transport from the plant to dealer on low tires. I also found a few lug nuts that wasn't much more than hand tight, much less torqued to specs.--Ken

ct0218

I have changed the oil and lubed my vehicles, boats, etc., for the last 30 years. I do all the routine maintenance on everything that requires it. I decided that if i have to go back and check behind everyone then I may as well do it myself. I know that it is done, and done right, and with the right products. When my Mt. Rushmore was delivered it had brakes only on 2 wheels, and the tire pressure varied 30 lbs from high to low. Fortunately, the unit was empty so it is doubtful that anything could have been damaged from transporting it that way. It is too bad that you often can't rely on someone to do the job right.

iefpro01

Ihear you! I will check behind the dealer next time on everything which I really do anyway. I just was in a hurry. BUT - the tire would have had to have been in really low to blow in 250 miles...

Anyway - I researched and found the Goodyears at Sears for $206.00 each, went to Discount tire the quoted $312.00 - I told them my offer at Sears and they dropped thier price to $200.00 each. So I ordered them - Installed and 100% replacement Guarantee $1085.00.

ct0218

That is a good price, about as good as I've heard with one exception: Jim Beletti caught them on sale at Sears, and I believe he got a Friends and Family discount on top of that. Anytime you can get them in the $200 range that is good. As for the OEM tire blowout--if it was seriously underinflated it doesn't take very many miles with a load for the tire to disintegrate.

phranc

Local tire dealer here gets $247 with lifetime balance and rotation and some sort of road hazzard guarantee.. Sears sounds good..

Pulltab

iefpro01 said:
Ihear you! I will check behind the dealer next time on everything which I really do anyway. I just was in a hurry. BUT - the tire would have had to have been in really low to blow in 250 miles...

Anyway - I researched and found the Goodyears at Sears for $206.00 each, went to Discount tire the quoted $312.00 - I told them my offer at Sears and they dropped thier price to $200.00 each. So I ordered them - Installed and 100% replacement Guarantee $1085.00.

I paid $1047 at my local Goodyear dealer, I guess I did alright then. He even charged me $20 for the china bombs disposal which I took with me. Didn't catch that at the time but the price was decent so I just left it alone.

iefpro01

I called Goodyear dealer and they quoted me 229 per tire. I think 200 per tire is pretty good. The main reason I went with Discount tire is the 100% tire return policy for 14.00. I have used it before - and no questions asked as long as there is 3/32 left on the tire - you get a new tire installed...

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Unfortunately, I just joined the club

Thought I was satisfied with my Trail America tires until yesterday - had gotten 7,000 miles out of them. Crusing down US10 toward Bay City at 60 mph with temperature at 81, cold psi at 110, and actually on one of the better parts of Michigan's freeway system when all of a sudden we heard a loud bank. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the front off door side tire self-destructing. Tread had separated.

Called AAA who sent out a tow truck to change to my spare. Wife said this trip is over - she did not want to go any further on these China tires. Told her we had to drive somewhere, even if back home.

Called Discount Tire in Bay City and they told me to come on in - they would find a tire. Took only four miles to get there and by then wife had put her foot down and told me to get five Goodyears if I ever wanted her to go with me again. Sure enough, Discount could and got all five.

Didn't get the bargain prices some of you got, but now have four Goodyear 614 RST load range Gs on the coach and one under for the spare. I was surprised that the sidewall is only one ply steel - thought it would be more - thought I had seen somewhere that they were 4 ply sidewall as well as tread.

Got them balanced as well. Hope this extra expense will extend the life of the coach.

As far as damage was concerned - the wiring on the kitchen slide was severed, but no other visible damage. Spliced the wiring together again, but still can't get the refrigerator or lights over the table to work. Will ask about the refrigerator under a different post.

Sad member of the China Bomb group.

Chuck

Cooper

I can not believe that there has not been a recall or law suite over this.
The list is growing everyday. I have never heard of anyone getting much more than 7,000 miles on them.
I believe you bought the best tire there is for a 5er the G614.
I have seen prices from $200.00 a piece to $260.00 and they had to be ordered. You where very lucky to find a place that had them. I paid $236.00 ea. for them at Discount Tire. Good luck on the repairs.

timk

This trip out we've noticed about a half a dozen right rear blowouts that had damaged the rigs. A couple of weeks ago a friend of ours had his Goodyear right rear blowup. Seems to be a trend. I think I remember reading somewhere that the theory is the front tire kicks up something from the shoulder, and pop goes the rear. Goodyears or not, the Doran system seems like a good investment to me.

Pat McFall

PressurePro Tire Monitors

The PressurePro Tire Monitoring System makes it easier to check your tire pressure sitting still and driving down the road. We have been using it for over 4 years and wouldn't think of travelling without it. Your DW will love it. Take a look at this website: PressurePro System and click on "Click to view the Manual" on the Home page. There is lots of good information in there. If you have any questions, you can PM me or or email me at PressureProSystem@yahoo.com

Pat