ATF: Greystone - Lost power to water heater

Buddy32rl

During a camping trip, lost power to water heater. Had been working fine. The red switch does not illuminate. Checked the breaker, pushed the black reset button on the outside of the heater. Switched to propane for the rest of the trip. Its a 2010 32rl. Any other things I need to check?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be sure to turn off that breaker and back on. Do not rely on a visual.
If that fails I would check the wires at the breaker and at the switch.

Peace
Dave

Buddy32rl

I did turn the breaker on and off to make sure it was on. I'll check the wires next. Thank you very much for the response, I'll make sure and let you know if that fixed it.

jimtoo

Seems like I remember something about a circuit board being taped or attached to the backside top of the waterheater and if it comes loose the heater will not work on a/c. You would need to be able to see the backside of the waterheater... you might do a search on the forum about this.... just remembering... I think.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, you remembered well.
Yes there is a sensor of some sort taped to the water heater.
It is just taped on with a tape similar to Duck Tape or Gorilla Tape.
Be sure to check that as well.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Mine did the same thing on our trip a few weeks ago. Turned off the breaker, unscrewed the light switch and pulled it out a bit, used pliers to seat the wires into the back of the switch fully. Corrected the problem. Same problem with the fan switch the next day. I tightened the wires to all 4 switches.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, the control module for the water heater is taped to the foam insulation on the back of the tank. Not a very good tape job, either. If it comes loose, the plug to the module can be dislodged. The other thing to check is the Hi-Limit switch on the outside face of the water heater. There are two black rubber "buttons" there. One is for 12V operation, the other for 120V. If it somehow got tripped, you need to press it (press both, won't hurt). If it clicks, then it had tripped for some reason.

If you somehow ran the water heater on electric without enough water in it, you may also have fried the heating element. I'm not sure if that would result in an incomplete circuit and the switch not illuminating, though. Maybe.

Buddy32rl

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I found the problem, a white wire had come loose from the lug behind the breaker panel. Water heater is working like it should. This is such a fantastic source for information, thanks again everyone!