How do you prevent stowaways?

CliffP

When we've winterized our camper Mindy has always used dryer sheets and cotton balls with peppermint oil to keep out mice. It seemed to work fine on our other camper. First trip with the new camper and we already picked up a stowaway. This one won't crawl up our power cord again.

2012-04-15 10.38.47.jpg 2012-04-15 10.39.11.jpg 2012-04-15 17.26.49.jpg

What are you using to keep these guys out?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff and Mindy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For some of the larger holes, taping a piece of mesh screen over it and then covering it with expanding foam works. But, for that cord storage port, there isn't much you can put in there to block it. Maybe stuffing some peppermint oil soaked cotton balls in an old nylon sock and sticking it in the opening while the cord is in use might work.

CliffP

2012-04-24 19.21.37.jpg 2012-04-24 19.13.37.jpg 2012-04-24 19.13.09.jpg 2012-04-24 19.19.50.jpg

Getting to know our camper better tonight and looking for places to run wires, came accross the stowaway's nest. He had come up the power cord and built this nest out of moss and a plastic bag. There isn't any moss by our house so wondering if there is some by where it was parked at the dealer for the winter. The bag was under the sink when Mindy noticed it was tore up so thinking there must be some holes in the floor that need sealing. Saw it on the forum before but does anyone know who sells the black foam to seal the holes or know something that works better? It is funny, our dealer put some little bags of stuff to keep the mice out and one of the bags was chewed into by the mouse. Don't think we'll be buying that brand again. Put in some dryer sheets, peppermint oil on cotton balls and getting some bronze wool tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2012-04-24 19.19.15.jpg
    2012-04-24 19.19.15.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 92

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cliff, you can get it at Menards. It's in the outdoor section where they have stuff for ponds.

Peace
Dave

CliffP

Thanks, just happen to going faucet shopping at Menards and Home Depot tonight. I'll pick some up.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
When we've winterized our camper Mindy has always used dryer sheets and cotton balls with peppermint oil to keep out mice. It seemed to work fine on our other camper. First trip with the new camper and we already picked up a stowaway. This one won't crawl up our power cord again.

View attachment 18658 View attachment 18659 View attachment 18660

What are you using to keep these guys out?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff and Mindy

Cliff,

I had a similar issue with my SOB - I replaced the entire power cord setup with the removable power cord setup to remove the access that the mice and Wasps were using to get into my rig. I had a very large wasp nest right behind the cord access one year - that was my breaking point!

Kevin

CliffP

Cliff,

I had a similar issue with my SOB - I replaced the entire power cord setup with the removable power cord setup to remove the access that the mice and Wasps were using to get into my rig. I had a very large wasp nest right behind the cord access one year - that was my breaking point!

Kevin

Kevin,

A wasp nest there would be terrible! Did the kit cover the whole hole or did you have to make some kind of plate to go behind it?

CliffP

We were at our dealer on Thursday and mentioned mice. They now sell Mouse Free, which is a spray that has to be applied once a year. Has anyone heard of or tried this product? Snake oil? It would be hard for me to justify $10 / linear foot plus the small (didn't ask) application fee.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
View attachment 18835 View attachment 18836 View attachment 18832 View attachment 18834

Getting to know our camper better tonight and looking for places to run wires, came accross the stowaway's nest. He had come up the power cord and built this nest out of moss and a plastic bag. There isn't any moss by our house so wondering if there is some by where it was parked at the dealer for the winter. The bag was under the sink when Mindy noticed it was tore up so thinking there must be some holes in the floor that need sealing. Saw it on the forum before but does anyone know who sells the black foam to seal the holes or know something that works better? It is funny, our dealer put some little bags of stuff to keep the mice out and one of the bags was chewed into by the mouse. Don't think we'll be buying that brand again. Put in some dryer sheets, peppermint oil on cotton balls and getting some bronze wool tomorrow.

If you were driving around down here with that in your rig, the Border Patrol would probably pull you into secondary inspection for a closer look. :) Trace

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Kevin,

A wasp nest there would be terrible! Did the kit cover the whole hole or did you have to make some kind of plate to go behind it?

Cliff,

By SOB was Stick and Tin so I needed to put a plate on the outside to allow it to fit. The same may be true for a Glass walled unit depending on the size of the Marine receptacle you install.

Wasps are not fun - and easy to find when you have them in the Power Cord area - they do not like it when you pull the extension cord out of the hole ... and they let you know it too!

Kevin

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've sent them an e-mail to find out what the shelf life of the product is after a part of a gallon has been used. With a BH3670, I would not need a full 2 gallons unless I decide to just coat the beejeebers out of it so I don't have any left over. $200 to DIY vs. $10/foot + travel to a dealer that does it. I am interested.

CliffP

I've sent them an e-mail to find out what the shelf life of the product is after a part of a gallon has been used. With a BH3670, I would not need a full 2 gallons unless I decide to just coat the beejeebers out of it so I don't have any left over. $200 to DIY vs. $10/foot + travel to a dealer that does it. I am interested.

Would you let us know what you find out?

caissiel

We have been using UltraSonic electric mice gaget by Black and Decker for years. The only trouble it has to be plugged in 120V circuit with power.
Never have mouse while plugged in.
Put one of those in the Garage and all my squirrels ran to my neighbour's garage so I gave him one for his to. These are only available in US at WW. that I have located so far. It don't kill but surely creates problems for others.

We now have one in the bedroom, kitchen and the basement.
When I store my classics cars for the winter I place mooth balls around the outside of the cars and Downy dryer sheets inside. Never had a mouse in the cars in the last 7 years doing it and a nice fresh smell inside, who care about the outside.