New Unicorn Express 16" Load E tires?

fishn2dmax

We just took delivery of our new Sundance and noticed our tires and all of the recently delivered Sundance and Bighorns were coming with Unicorn Express 16" load range E tires. There are no other markings on the tires other than a DOT code 83B5. If anyone can interpret from this code who manufactured it, I would appreciate it. When I look up the B5 portion of the code, it matches a Michelin plant in Poland? I'm hoping that is true since it would indicate the Unicorn tires are not a chinese tire - seems to good to be true?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I read an article awhile back from the Modern Tire Dealers Association and Michelin said they made tires in China but they were only sold in country. They also stated they sell there tires made locally or as close to local as possible but you know how things can change. I bet the Unicorns are another Chinese tire rebadged. Just like to know are they Lt OR St Tires?
Like the old saying goes never play leap frog with a Unicorn.;) ---Ken

Almost forgot they have to have a label somewhere on the tire where they were made.

DennisZ

Fishn
Here is a link to the DOT code for tire manufacturers, I didn't find a code for 83B5 (the list may be out of date), you might want to check the first 2 characters to confirm what they are and look them up on the list, it will tell you where they were made.

Dennis

ChopperBill

I learned an expensive lesson and now only roll on Michelin's. Others go with Goodyear's. But Unicorn Express! Not to sure about them. :confused:

fishn2dmax

Well....I'm very sad to report my "unicorn" tires were made in China. I downloaded an updated DOT Manufacturer list and sure enough the first two letters of the dot code (83B5) indicated the tire is made in China.:mad: The only good new is my spare tire is a goodyear ( dot code not made in china).

Maybe the answer for me is the purchase of three goodyears and use the china bombs for spares? I understand heartland wanting to save some money on tires, but they could offer an optional tire upgrade (michelin) for those order their trailers and elect the best possible tires.