Ceiling Fan Mounting Box

WilmanJim

It was raining one day so I decided to remove the Ceiling Fan to clean it inside and out. When I removed the fan and looked up inside the mounting box I found it was only held in with one screw. Also the wire was put through the opposite side of the wire clamp.
I removed the wire and spun the box around and put the wires through the clamp and added two more screws to the box mount.
So just a heads up, if your fans wobbles you might take a look.
Sorry no after picture the sun came out. :cool:
Jim

Ceiling Fan Apr 2012.JPG

KWire

Jim,

All I can say is WOW!!! I am really disappointed to see a picture like that. I've been looking at Heartland as a possible FW for us after retirement. I can understand someone missing an occasional screw, but there is no excuse for putting the wire in like that. NONE!

It should never have been done in the first place, but it should have been caught by the person installing the fan and fixed immediately. I'd consider you lucky as it could have worn through and caused a short, or even a fire.

I hope the factory sees this post and takes the picture to everybody on the assembly line to make sure it never happens again.

Thanks for posting, Keith

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree, that's quite disappointing. We've used our fan extensively almost 24/7/365 for the first 4 years of ownership and since we can now be called "Snowbirds" we use it for 6 months straight during the winter months. Nary a wobble! Now if I can just remember to check it out when we get back south. We left the rig in FL for the first time in 6 years.

jbeletti

Jim,

Sorry this installation practice was used in your coach. I hope it's not typical. I've never heard of it before.

I did pass this along to Production tonight.

Thanks,

WilmanJim

Keith,
I'm not knocking Heartland I just posted this for informational reviews. I have been RV'ing for over 40 years and I can tell you that our Heartland 2010 Bighorn 3670RL so far has been the best RV we have been in. I would Highly Recommend a Heartland. We have just over 35,000 miles on ours with no major problems. We get a lot of comments when visited.

Jim

KWire

Jim,

Yea I knew you weren't "knocking Heartland". We own a Hardware Store and I've been dealing with the do it yourself-er for 40+ years. I come down hard on anybody who does a bonehead mistake like that so I naturally overreacted when I saw your picture.

Overall I will say I have been very much impressed with Heartland quality and especially their support. Retirement is a couple of years away and we want to travel so we have been looking at FW's.

Glad to see Jim has passed it on to production.

Keith

GOTTOYS

My fan sounded like a DC-3 on takeoff when we first got it. The dealer tightened the mounting and it helped quite a bit. Maybe mine was "the other one" that had this problem..Don