Exposure to salty ocean air

jtw

We have a beautiful location we like to stay that is 20 yards from the ocean. We are concerned about the effects of the ocean mist damaging our exterior. Our previous trailer was a Jayco and rust was becoming a problem.... We have a brand new 2012 3685 Bighorn and want to know if has been built to withstand the salty air

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
jtw... We lived in Boca Raton, Florida for ten years and we were 12 miles inland from the beach. I can tell you that salt mist / air is always going to be a maintenance issue. We replaced brass plated exterior lighting (among other items) 3 times due to rust. It's powerful stuff, even with good preventative maintenance it was capable of rusting the stainless steel on my boats! Keep things waxed and lubricated. I would think that the experience of being that close to the water would be worth the extra effort.

Bobby A

We have a beautiful location we like to stay that is 20 yards from the ocean. We are concerned about the effects of the ocean mist damaging our exterior. Our previous trailer was a Jayco and rust was becoming a problem.... We have a brand new 2012 3685 Bighorn and want to know if has been built to withstand the salty air

Wow !! It must be beautiful, where are you at ?? is it a campgrounds ?? we stayed at Beaverly Beach campgrounds its just north of Daytona for a couple weeks one time, its about 20 yards from the Atlantic, the salt was everywhere. Loved the location though.

branson4020

Icantre Member

I spend a lot of time on the Oregon coast, sometimes for a couple of months at a stretch. Just like Bret said, metal parts will rust or corrode, everything else will turn green with mold:eek:.
Its extra maintenance for sure, but it's the price you pay to play.

donr827

We spend two weeks every March in the Florida Keys with sites right on the water. I always hose down the trailer the day we leave. This also includes the under carriage and frame. Helps but not a guarantee.
Don

porthole

Retired

No truck, trailer, motorcycle, etc etc etc is going to withstand that invasion. Daily wash downs.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have been staying at Goose Island, Texas coast area, about a 2 week period of time for a couple of years now. We are just feet away from the water and the rig is constantly getting sprayed from the breakers. Once we are well away from the coast area we give the BH a good washing with just fresh water; start at the very top/roof and work your way down...just don't forget the rubber seals around doors, windows or slides and use a sponge ("hosing it down" is not a good way to go). I do this very carefully with a running hose/and/or bucket of fresh water; using my hand I open up the slide seals to the inside and hose it down well because the salt gets behind the seals (it's a tricky devil!!) I use a low volume water flow when I do the seals so as not to get water inside. I then treat the rubber with a protective sealant I purchase through camping world. It is a long drawn out process but considering what the salt/sea air can do it is definitly the way to go!

jtw

Thanks for all of your responses! The ocean is such a great spot to be and didn't want to sacrifice going to save the rig. Will be a bit of hardship to have to wash it down each time but well worth it to save the rig and enjoy the ocean!