BrakeSmart - brake controller

Gary F

Folks,

I installed my recently purchase Brakesmart controller and had opportunity to test the unit today. No comparison to the Tekonsha Voyager that I've been using since 2001.
Now my TV and trailer brake as one unit instead of the push pull sensation that i previously experienced.
The key difference between the two controllers is the Braksmart taps into the master cylinder line pressure versus inertia on the Voyager.

Money well spent in my opinion.

Pictures
1. Master cylinder - Front brake line has splitter for pressure sensor hose connection.
2. Another view showing the pressure sensor - below my thumb.
3. Brake controller mounted below small storage compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

svd

Where can you buy these controllers? I have not been able to figure that out. I have even tried a search, I can find information, but no sales.

jpmorgan37

I finally got my Brake Smart after waiting a month to get it after I ordered it and I want to say that it is, without a doubt, the best brake controller that I ever had. (This is my forth one). I've got about 850 miles on it now and I'm impressed with it's operation. The fact that the amount of current that the controller sends to the trailer brakes is directly proportional to the amount of hydraulic pressure applied to the tow vehicles brakes really makes it even braking in all situations. At $460 including shipping, it is a little pricy, but to me it is definitely worth the money.

John

BluegrassMan

Hi GaryF:
Just an observation, I see the cradle for a Sirius "Sportster". I've had mine for about 2yrs.(in the car). Just this past Sat. I put one in the truck. Boy what a job running the antenna wire above the headliner from the brake light.

svd

New BrakeSmart

Well, just received my new BrakeSmart controller. It only took 3 days for me to get it. Looking forward to the difference after it is installed.

jpmorgan37

4200 Miles Later

None One month and 4200 miles later and driving through the mountains in Pennsylvania, I can say that the Brake Smart is excellent. It works just as they advertise and does great in panic stop situation(when some less considerate driver pulls in front of you and slams on their brakes to make a turn). I'm sorry that I didn't have it years ago.

John

svd

John,
Did you have to make many adjustments, or were you able to use it as is. I am going to try mine over the 4th.

jpmorgan37

Steve;
I started with the standard setting and when I got into the mountains, I increased it +2. I have 12 1/4 x 3 3/4 brakes on my coach. Keep in mind that I'm pulling 16,000 pounds with a 3/4 ton, single rear wheel, and I wanted more trailer brake. I really like the way it works. If I were you, I would start out with the standard setting and try it that way. When you connect to the trailer, it will beep. Press "E" to clear the "Detected" message and then press the "Red" button to calibrate it. Then, you're set to go. If you want to try an emergency stop, the red button will send 10 amps to the brakes. They will lock up. I haven't had to use that option.

John

svd

Just got back from a trip, and WOW, what a difference! This BrakeSmart is the ticket, no more letting off the brakes because the trailer brakes are applying too hard, or adjusting the brake controller on the fly for different speeds!