ATF: North Trail - Suspension type and documentation

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
How can I find out more details on the suspension and axles that are installed on my 2010 North Trail 31DBSS?

This is still new under warranty since I just recently took delivery. Specifically, I need to know the location and type and torque used on the flange nuts used on the ends of the leaf springs. I lost one nut recently while towing it home and found another one that was very loose. I went through and tightend them down to 60 ft-lbs based on the vague information in the owners manual handbook.

I would also like to know how/where I can purchase more of the same type of nuts. My local hardware and auto parts stores carry a 7/16-20 fine grade 8 nut but nothing with the flange like nuts on the coach. I used this as a temporary fix.

I would try the dealer but I have had all kinds of trouble getting anything done right without standing over their shoulders. Not to mention they are over an hour away.

wdk450

Silverado23:
Have you ever heard of McMaster-Carr Hardware/Anything? The once resource I would want if I was stuck on a desert island (with telephone/internet and UPS service).
Here is their heading page on "Nuts" with "Flange Nuts" prominently displayed: http://www.mcmaster.com/#nuts/=h6vg3t

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Silverado23:
Have you ever heard of McMaster-Carr Hardware/Anything? The once resource I would want if I was stuck on a desert island (with telephone/internet and UPS service).
Here is their heading page on "Nuts" with "Flange Nuts" prominently displayed: http://www.mcmaster.com/#nuts/=h6vg3t

I forgot about using McMaster-Carr. They do have flange nuts. Now I just need more details about the type of nut that is used for the suspensions. They have a grade 2 nut that might work but not sure how corrosion resistant it is or whether I need a particular grade of nut.

Thank you,
Silverado 23

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
After more research, It appears what I was looking for was not a flange nut but actually a prevailing torque nut that is zinc plated. The threads at the top of the nut are distorted and prevent the nut from loosening.

My local Fastenal store carries them.

TeJay

Silverado23,
Anytime I work on these type of critical situations and don't want the nut coming loose I always use the red colored lock tight. Even if it is a locking nut it makes me feel better to add the lock-tight. Better safe than sorry. Without looking up the specific torque I would be comfortable with the 60#'s that you used. A nut that size when torqued to 60#'s should stretcth it enough to provide the clamping force necessary. However if it's to tight then the sides may clamp to tight and not allow the necessary movement. Check at the top of this page under tools then to manuals. Your suspension should be listed and I believe there is a torque spec chart in there. If not then just google your suspension and you should find a service manual.
TeJay

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Tejay, Thank you, Between the manual for the suspension which listed the torque at 70# at the high end and 45# was the low end and searching lipperts website for replacement parts I found the information regarding torque nuts. I also usually use red or blue lock tight depending on the ease of removal in the future.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I ended up contacting Lippert for the torque nut.

The prevailing torque nut 7/16"-20 used on the shackle link plates are available by calling Lippert.
part# 122103 Cost would be around $1.74 each plus shipping.
Call to order from Lipper at 574-537-8900

torquenut.JPG

Attachments

• torquenut.JPG
    torquenut.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited: