Lino Split over the winter in Alberta in my Bighorn

noobee

This was the first winter that we left our unit in Alberta. On returning we discovered that the linoleum in the living area & the bathroom area had split.
What have others done to replace the lino? I'm hesitate of using lino again as it might also split in the winter.
Is laminate good to use? What about preventing marking from the slide rollers?

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Lino Split

I have not had to deal with problem flooring, but I know that some people have installed the laminate and I can tell you that it looks really nice.
That would be my choice for replacement flooring.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

Re: Lino Split

This is a very common problem in cold climates. Doesn't matter what brand of trailer. I've had it happen to 3 of my previous rigs. The linoleum is loose laid and the walls/cabinets are built on top of it. There is no glue used to hold it down. I doubt there is a glue or self sticking tile that would work under the huge temperature swings a trailer sees. Easy to replace. Cut the old piece out around the edge and use it for a pattern for the new sheet. Lay the new sheet down and hold it in place around the edges with base shoe or 1/4 round. This way the sheet can float and won't get stretched and tear again as it expands and contracts. Doesn't matter what grade of flooring it can all do this although the Beau Floor material in the newer Heartland models isn't supposed to. It seems to be more flexible and may be able to hold up better. I also used laminate in one and it really looked nice. More work as there was a lot of cutting. Forget about trying to glue the lino down. If you look on the glue can you won't find one that will stick in temperatures from -30 to 100 degrees. If it did the lino would still split. This is a very common problem in extreme cold climates. Good luck..Don

Riverman

Noobee I feel yout pain. Our Cyclone flooring has also cracked over the course of the winter. Does anyone know where I could attain a new piece and attempt to lay a patch?

noobee

Yesterday, we had our lino replaced with a better quality product than the original. The installer did an excellent job. Screwed the OSB to the 'studs' in all the areas where HL had missed, so that the long term squeaking is gone. He also patched/evened the floor before gluing down the lino. Great job... kind of pricey but well worth it.