How strong is back bumper/sewer hose holder?

relocator

One month ago I took delivery of my new 2011 Greystone 32RL and love it! Went directly from the dealer in Butte, Mont. and headed to Oceanside CA. No major problems with the trailer. Found out the hard way that you shouldn't put anything heavy on the bottom shelf below the computer table. My laptop case with walkies and chargers were too much for the shelf on Calif's bumpy roads but I got it fixed. The other minor thing was the bathroom door from the hallway wouldn't stay closed and I was afraid it might break the glass door to the bedroom. Fixed it on my return home by putting a sliding latch on the top of the door. Absolutely no buyer remorse with this beautiful well laid out rig.

My question is, we do a lot of dry camping at the lakes here in Montana and want to be able to take along my 3000 watt generator that weighs about 88 lbs or so. Since Heartland didn't provide a hitch receiver and it looks like it might be difficult putting one on, I ordered a Curt trailer bumper Mount hitch and a carrier from Harbor Freight. I'm a little concerned that since the metal used in the bumper appears to be only 1/8" thick that if I hit any roads like I did in Calif, my bumper/sewer hose holder may not take the strain. Has anyone done this? Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

MC9

Put it in the truck or the front compartment. I carry a freezer in the front compartment but I added a few more screws holding the pan in. You won't believe how much vertical movement the rear of your 5r does.

dfk009

relocator,

You are very correct in being concerned about the thick of steel used in the bumper. You should see the corner of my bumper, and you will understand. I had a business that specializes in installing trailer hitches, suggested to me that I have a class III receiver welded to the rear frame horns. Heartland's rear bumpers aren't very strong. I wouldn't bolt anything to them after what happened to me.

Don

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I've towed over 10,000 miles over some rough roads with my Gen. mounted on the sewer hose holder. I did beef up the weld with a gusset as shown in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpg
    IMG_1274.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 113
  • ebay pics 064.jpg
    ebay pics 064.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 104
  • ebay pics 060.jpg
    ebay pics 060.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 94

GOTTOYS

It's not really a bumper, it's more of a light gauge sewer hose holder. A good welding shop could reinforce it, but I wouldn't mount anything on it the way it is...Don

relocator

quote: Put it in the truck or the front compartment. I carry a freezer in the front compartment but I added a few more screws holding the pan in. You won't believe how much vertical movement the rear of your 5r does.

Thanks for the suggestions. The truck option is a little harder since Greystone put the outlet for the shoreline at the rear of the RV. I really thought the front compartment would be to small but after your post I measured it and it's almost 18" deep so that will work but I'm not sure if running the generator in there, at the camp site, is a good idea even with the door open.

relocator

Thanks Don. I have two nephews who are master welders, I think I'll invite them over for dinner and have them look at it. The 'horns' don't appear to be much heavier steel than what the square bumper was made of though. I supposed that could be beefed up too.

relocator

Thanks for the pictures. I especially like the rack you made. Your generator looks like it's just 'floating'. I also like the short shoreline you made!!

wdk450

Relocator:
My 2008 Bighorn doesn't have the sewer hose compartment - no rear bumper. I have the same Boily generator as you, and the couple of times I have boondocked so far, I have lugged it out of the truck bed between the hitch and bed toolbox where it is locked down with a heavy link motorcycle locking chain (BTW, the other day I noticed that Harbor Freight now has these for about 1/5 of what I paid online for mine). I looked at what you are doing, but I am currently thinking of just getting a 30 amp extention cord and plugging into the generator in the truck, where it sits (with the gas cans).

Walmrt has a 30 amp, 30 foot RV extension cord (In stock at my local Walmart) for $49.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Power-30-Amp-RV-Extension-Cord-30/16817354

Last edited:

relocator

Relocator:
My 2008 Bighorn doesn't have the sewer hose compartment - no rear bumper. I have the same Boily generator as you, and the couple of times I have boondocked so far, I have lugged it out of the truck bed between the hitch and tailgate where it is locked down with a heavy link motorcycle locking chain (BTW, the other day I noticed that Harbor Freight now has these for about 1/5 of what I paid online for mine). I looked at what you are doing, but I am currently thinking of just getting a 30 amp extention cord and plugging into the generator in the truck, where it sits (with the gas cans).

My previous trailer was 8' shorter and I would carry my generator between my tool box and hitch and I would hook up my shoreline to it there but a lot of heat is generated so I wouldn't run it very long. Maybe without a tool box it wouldn't be so bad.
Since the shoreline comes out of the back of the Greystone I'd have to have the truck at the back end, or a really long extension, to be able to leave it in the truck. With most of the State Parks limited space I'm not able to do that.