Fresh water fill at parks

ILH

I just took delivery of my 305 yesterday. As part of the walkaround inspection, I noticed that the fresh water fill is restricted to a single threaded hose line with selection for city/tank/antifreeze. On my previous travel trailer I had an additional fill hole for a hose.

At many of the public parks the fill stations have fresh water coming from a rubber hose with NO fitting on the end. This worked fine for the hole on my travel trailer - but what do I do on the new Road Warrior? How do other people fill their tanks in this situation?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats on the new Road Warrior. I understand your dilemma. What it you carried a section of hose with you and just disconnect the parks hose at the spigot and used your hose with good connections on both ends? I realize also that some places have the hose on a tall pipe with a big spring on it. Remember those? I don't know what to tell you. I sure there is some way but you might have to find the Park Ranger. Hey hey, BooBoo.

ILH

Or just smarter than the average bear! (grin)

Actually, what I can't seem to recall (memory isn't what it used to be) there may have been a seperate threaded valve to allow campers to hook up a hose. I guess I'll just have to go prepared for a number of options.

ILH

Thanks - I have one of those. I visualize that the guy waiting in line behind me at the fill station is going to wonder what the heck I'm trying to do!

Ever notice that those of us who have been trailering for a few years tend to have a HUGE collection of adaptors, gizmos and do-alls? (grin)

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Personally - I would opt for finding another spigot to fill - I would not use any water source that I was unable to put through my filters first.

Kevin

ILH

That's a very good point. The location I principally had in mind was a provincial park in Ontario where the water is from a trusted source. But even where there are proper fittings, I don't tend to think about filtering the water - making the assumption that it is 'clean' or that it tastes good. I need to be more careful.

Do you use an inline filter (which is what I use when I'm parked at a full service site) - orsomething installed inside the rig? If it is the latter, you wouldn't need to pre-filter what comes in, right?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Ian,

In my case I have just about completed a modification to my rig for an on board filter system, so this does not apply to me - I was making a general comment about the importance of filtering.

Happy Camping !!!

Kevin