towing vehicle

I need to know if a 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton dodge quad cab with a 6.7 cummins will pull a BigHorn BH3685RL. I am not sure what the rearend is, I think it is a 3.71.

jnbhobe

I need to know if a 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton dodge quad cab with a 6.7 cummins will pull a BigHorn BH3685RL. I am not sure what the rearend is, I think it is a 3.71.

I think it will tow it with no problem but you will probably be over weight on the rear axel and combination weight.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Your truck has plenty of power. How much weight are you comfortable putting in the bed? Your pin weight can easily be 3000 - 3500 lbs.

jtwhites85

I have the 2010 2500 4X4 with the 6.7 and the pin weight on the Augusta is 2150# empty. This is about 250# more than my last 5er. I added the Timbren overloads before the first tow and pulled level. http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/DR2500CA.pdf
This took me about 20 minutes to install with standard hand tools. The truck never hesitated nor did it act stupid. Actually seemed like it liked the extra weight a little. Now, I won’t say I would cross country in this setup but as long as I stay in Texas I feel OK with it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have the 2010 2500 4X4 with the 6.7 and the pin weight on the Augusta is 2150# empty. This is about 250# more than my last 5er. I added the Timbren overloads before the first tow and pulled level. http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/DR2500CA.pdf This took me about 20 minutes to install with standard hand tools. The truck never hesitated nor did it act stupid. Actually seemed like it liked the extra weight a little. Now, I won’t say I would cross country in this setup but as long as I stay in Texas I feel OK with it.
The brochure "unloaded pin weight" means nothing. What does your rig weigh ready-to-travel? I just weighed my BH 3385 last week and the real, loaded pin weight was about 3000 lbs.

MTPockets

My tires say 3415 lbs. max load at 80 psi..... that's 6830 lbs. max on the rear tires...... my tuck is a 1 ton F350 single rear wheel. I weighed on CAT scale fully loaded with my Big Horn 3055RL... rear truck axle weight with cargo, passengers, near full tank of fuel = 6520 lbs. That's plenty close regardless of truck capacity. Your Big Horn is capable of more than mine. i would want a dual wheel 1 ton truck for a 3685, or anything over 14,000 lbs GVWR which the 3685 is.

danemayer

Is your engine powerful enough to pull the trailer. Probably so. Is the payload spec on your truck matched to the vertical load of the BH3685RL? Probably not.

The empty rig pin weight spec is 2320. When loaded, what will the real weight be? Depends on what's in your rig. Ours is pretty fully optioned and our actual pin weight is almost 900# more than the spec.

Let's assume your actual pin weight will be 2700#. Next find the payload of your truck, which is probably available from Dodge or the Trailer Towing Guide. It varies by year, model, and configuration. Let's guess that yours is 2400. But subtract from your payload the weight of your hitch, tools and other stuff in the bed of the truck, bed liner, cover, passengers, and anything else that isn't in the empty truck weight. Let's guess your available payload is 1700#. You'd be 1000# overweight.

Does it matter? Will you bottom out your suspension every time you hit a bump? Will it cause excessive wear and mechanical failures over time? Will your truck handling and braking be affected? Will your tires be overloaded? How bad will it be?

Getting more info helps (which of course is why you're asking). Here's a website that may be helpful to you.