I-40 from Asheville, NC to Pigeon Forge, TN

ramjleo

We are planing a trip from HICKORY NC to PIGONFORGE TN. We would like to take RT.40 I will be towing a 24 ft rbs with 2011 tundra.I have never been over Black My in NC.Any info on what to expect would be helpfull. Thanks

jnbhobe

Re: RT 40 Hickory NC to Pigonforge TN

Bkack Mt is a long haul but there are plenty of truck lanes. Just gear down and make a steady pull, watch the tempature guage. Last time I was over I-40 it was rough.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Re: rt40ashvillenc to pigonforge tn

Expect a long hard pull. Recently pulled my Landmark across with my F350 diesel. I topped the mountain at around 48mph. Just find a climbing speed that is comfortable for you and the Tundra and don't get in a hurry.

Wolfpackers

If your camper is well under your max towing capacity, then you should have no trouble at all. I've got a 3/4 ton truck and pull a fiver that's 3K lbs under my max trailer wt and I go up Black Mtn grade with the cruise on at 55-60 mph....sometimes I'm even in the far left lane.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Due expect a long pull uphill but it's a nice wide road (3 lanes). Once you get thru Asheville, there is one more pull up the grade toward the Waynesville exit but from there it's pretty e-z going thru the valley, just lots of curves. We live in TN and run I-40 a couple of times a year. Just take your time and plan on lots of truck traffic.