Tuners

MC9

I haven't seen this discussed so I'll try.. How many Heartlanders use a programmer or tuner on thier tow vehicle?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Used one on our 98 Dodge, and used one on our 05 C4500 Kodiak...this new 2011 Chevy does not need one...LOVE it!!!

mmomega

AnyTimer
I have one on the 6.0L Ford but not on the 6.7L yet. It doesn't need it but I know it will eventually happen.

Parts list was made months ago, now just counting down the warranty mileage.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had an Edge tuner on my old truck-GMC 2500 D/A- but haven't put one on my new Dodge. Still under warranty now but in the future....?

Rrloren

I use a Hypertech Max Energy on mine set on level 2. Found that level 3 caused Trans slippage when towing.
The improved power is nice , can't say that I saw much increase in MPG's, altho my mileage when towing runs 12-13 mpg's.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There is only one man I'd trust making tunes for your Ford V-10. Mike at 5 Star Tuners knows what he is doing. Please read...LINK

MC9

Thanks for the link westxsrt10. As a FTE member that is my plan. Incidentally, my ex son-in-law was an engineer on the Viper project. Used to bring home vipers for me. What fun..

skyguy

Have had a DP Tuner for several years on my F350. Love it! Never use the hi horsepower for towing. The $40 exhaust brake feature is perfect for our mountain passes. The tuner would be suicide without the guages...

Al S.

Vtxkid

Had one on my '08 Chevy 2500 SRW and liked it! Only problem was warrenty on drive train if anything should happen. Have a 2011 Chevy Dually now and I agree with others... doesn't need it.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for the link westxsrt10. As a FTE member that is my plan. Incidentally, my ex son-in-law was an engineer on the Viper project. Used to bring home vipers for me. What fun..
I have 3 custom SCT tunes from Mike but only use the "Economy Tow 87 octane", it increased my towing mpg by aprox. 10% ( from 8 to 9mpg). You will like the increased torque off the line. Mike matches the tunes to your trucks PCM/ECM model number so you will have to remove it from the firewall to read the numbers. (10 min. job)

I had a Superchips Cortex tuner and had nothing but trouble.

caissiel

Been using the Max Energy by Hypertech for 5 years. Power set on level 2 because on level 3 the clutch slips at 2500rpm. Fuel savings towing has been fantastic on level 3, less on level 2 . But the difference in turbo pressure from stock is one more reason for using the programer. I have noticed a drop of up to 8 psi while cruising on florida flat Hiways. When I can keep the turbo pressure under 10psi towing millage improves a lot. With higher settings I can make the hills easier with turbo pressue under 10 psi.

My previous GM with 6.5L dsl gained 6 mpg when I fooled the turbo with a $3.25 electronic pot and waited for warranty over an lost 6 mpg for 100k miles. So for this Ford I installed the Econ from day one as I knew hypertech had figured the same discovery I found in 2003 and well known by GM forum readers.
I started my trip with the programer set to stock because I was planning to do an update but did not. Stoped at the first rest stop and loaded the. Level 2 and it was like the trailer was not behind and turbo pressure droped from 13psi to 5 psi cruising in Floridas 95.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I've been running EDGE w/ Juice programmer since my 2500HD was new. I had all the parts (tuner, exhaust, AFE) before I had the truck delivered.

57chevyconvt

Just purchased a SMARTY S-06 for my '03 Dodge 5.9L diesel. Had been using an EDGE chip from '03 up until now. Still trying to read the manual and understand all the features of the SMARTY prior to up loading any program to the ECM. One thing I like about the SMARTY is that it will read all the fault codes in plain English and clear the code if so desired. Looking for a little more HP and fuel economy for our trip to Alaska start in June. Since I have a stock clutch, I am concerned about to much boost in torque could damage the clutch.

caissiel

You can find out fast enough. Just floor it unloaded it will slip if to much power added .

With mine it's clutch wear that is causing it.
Hypertech tested with standard clutches and assured me that wear was the issue on 115 HP setting.
Its flawless on 85HP setting.
Good luck with your trip.

As for fuel mileage the ScangaugeII was my best tool to train me while towing.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

beardedone

Beardedone
Rick, I read the Dodge Cummins forum all the time and I pay close attention to "tuner talk" because I want to do it soon. The 6.7 seems to work best with the Smarty or H & S tuners and overall I think the Smarty Jr with the ME tune is the most popular for people that want a little performance, some improved economy and the ability to delete the DPF system.