2012 Ford F350 Superduty Dually 4x4-Reese Elite 25k hitch, Firestone Airbags

bd2dabone

I am considering installing the Firestone Airbags. Does the Reese elite frame mount interfere with the installation of brackets and bolts of the Firestone Airbag kit (does it remain being "just bolt on")? I am towing a cyclone 3800 and would like to level the truck when attached.

Attachments

• f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 74
  • f2a.jpg
    f2a.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 62

porthole

Retired
There have been some on the truck forums saying it is a tough job installing the air bag kit, not impossible, just difficult.
I am installing a Firestone air ride kit that uses the air bags.

The brackets that came with the kit I am using were no problem to install. So far the hardest part of the actual air bag bracket is removing that jounce bumper. soak it with penetrating oil first.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My bump stops actually came right off no problem, 15mm ratchet I believe.

That pic inside the fender well is the driver side, if it is the same for the Ride Rite kit as my Firestone kit, then you remove that 2nd bolt (the one that looks to be dead center above the tire) and remove the spring nut from the backside or inside the frame rail.
Install the upper bag mount and replace with a bolt, washer and nut.

Passenger side should have a larger oval hole opening and the kit should come with a frame nut that fits that hole perfectly. The upper bag mount for that side actually looks different and uses a larger bolt and larger washer to secure it.

Like porthole said, it's just a bit difficult especially if you don't have a lift as there isn't a whole lot of room to sit up or reach things comfortably under there.

porthole

Retired
All done except for actually running the air lines. Went back and forth as to where to mount the tank and compressor.
Ended up mounting the tank as far back as I could on the right frame rail and mounted the compressor to the big side plate for the front spring mounts.

bd2dabone

So no problems basically mounting the air bags with the reese elite hitch mounts? just looks like the reese frame mounts either use some of the same frame holes or cover necessary frame holes?

porthole

Retired
As we said, if the air bag kit is the same as the Firestone bags we put in this weekend, no problem.

I'll try and take the same angle pics tomorrow.

mmomega

AnyTimer
are you wanting to relocate the DEF tank ?

there's no reason to relocate anything, I'm not sure where else you would put it.