Hammock Seat cover for F-350?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Our original plan was to remove the storage box beneath the rear seat in the f-350 and let Hunter lay in the floor. We took the pup-dog (100 pounds of love) on a quick ride in the new truck last night and he loved sitting up on the seats again like he did in our/his first car. So now we're thinking we'd like one of those hammock style seat covers. He's getting older so I think it's important that he not be able to fall into the floorboard. He's also a big boy and I don't want him to slip as he turns around.

Obviously the size of the truck makes this a more complicated purchase than in a standard car.

Do any of you have a hammock style seat cover in your truck? If so, which brand and are you pleased with it?

Thanks so much!
Alice

porthole

Retired
For short trips I use the hammock style, ordered from Duluth Trading.
Longer trips - I made a bed for the dogs.

For your new truck, you can remove the storage bins and get an older style metal "flat load" platform that folds out to make a fairly decent size flat area. But it is floor level.

Boca_Shuffles

You can get these on ebay. Ours cost about $15.00.

We just put ours over the seat so the dogs get cushioning on the Michigan potholes.

One of the benefits of the hammock is that they can be waterproof. This was important to us when traveling through Texas and one of the dogs got diarrhea from ingesting goat-head burrs that were suck in her paws. It was very easy to clean. Thank heavens for the outside shower head. Very quick cleanup in the middle of nowhere.

Boca likes to use the partition between the seats as a head rest.

Boca in Truck.jpg

jbeletti

For short trips I use the hammock style, ordered from Duluth Trading.
Longer trips - I made a bed for the dogs.

For your new truck, you can remove the storage bins and get an older style metal "flat load" platform that folds out to make a fairly decent size flat area. But it is floor level.

Duane,

How/where do you get the flat fold system? I had that in my Dodge and likes it. Don't think I'm gonna like the Ford setup as well. Don't really need the storage under it as much as I need the ability to convert the space for a dog bed etc.

Jim

jnbhobe

I haven't tried to make a bed for Freckles yet, he seems content to just lay on the back seat with his blanket. I have the flat fold system out of the 06 truck I removed before I traded it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have tried the hammocks, high chairs etc. One of our dogs will squirm out in 5 minutes.

Most of the time on long trips we crate our Yorkies & Parrot, (not together) and place the crates in the folded back seat floor. They have their bedding and whatnot.
They are happy with this setup and it's safer IMHO.

DW's uncle had a pup fly out of the vehicle into traffic during an accident. The results were not good.

Once in a while, one of the pups will get to ride on moms lap in the front, or out on the seat, but we don't do it very often. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Duane,

How/where do you get the flat fold system? I had that in my Dodge and likes it. Don't think I'm gonna like the Ford setup as well. Don't really need the storage under it as much as I need the ability to convert the space for a dog bed etc.

Jim

Jim, I don't have one, just know about it. It was standard in the pickups before the storage bins. Look on Craigslist etc, they are readily available and a bolt in change.
On theFord truck forums there are frequently people looking to trade one for the other.

Peteandsharon

Duane,

Jim

Jim,

I removed a flat fold system from under the rear seat of my 2008 F250. I replaced it with the Du-Ha storage bin. If this is the one you are talking about you are welcome to it. I still have it but have no need for it. I sent you an email regarding this.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We had a 130# german shepherd. In my 2006 F250 I folded the rear seats up. Lowered the metal platform. Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit on the metal platform. Bought a sheet of 4x8 2" foam rubber. Cut it to fit on the plywood. Made 3 pieces making the foam rubber 6". Took an old bed comforter, sewed it into sort of a pillow case with a big zipper on one end. Wrapped the 6" foam rubber with painters plastic and put it into the conforter case and placed it on the plywood. Later on I put some 2x6 boards on edge and raised the plywood so he could look out the window.

FWIW
BC

Crumgater

We loved the '95 F250 king cab back seat - it dropped completely flat. We put down some of that squishy cabinet liner as a non-slip surface, then have a faux-fur-covered piece of foam as a pillow for the 'bed'. The '08 F350 crew cab is a little different - the seats just flip up, but we do have the pull-out levelers which make the back seat about the same size as the old truck. We use a sheet to protect the back seats from flying hair... but need to find something for the backs of the front seats, too.

Both our dogs liked the arrangement - although the seat is a little lower, which made it more difficult to rest their heads on the arm rest up to the front seat. The 'little' black dog (70lb bulldog/boxer) also had to stretch to see out the window.

The two dogs got along great in the car, but that wasn't always the case at home... the black one was re-homed earlier this year (both dogs were much happier as only children). Then we lost the brown one (100lb Dane/lab) suddenly to an inoperable tumor in his spine just last month (he was almost 9 years old). :(

We're working on getting a new co-pilot...

P1000972a.jpgP1000973a.jpgP1000733a.jpg

Attachments

• P1000813.jpg
    P1000813.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 17

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We first tried one from Petsmart, but it was too small and it slipped on the leather. So then we ordered this one: http://www.petego.com/category/24/Car/product/368/EBHammockSeatProtector

We love the slip proof back and the elastic that holds it to the seat. It's padded on the front and very supportive (even for a hundred pound dog.) He's learned to ride in a seat again vs. the back of an SUV. Now we are ordering special dog stairs for him as he's getting older and the truck is so high. The wooden box we made for the SUV just isn't big enough.

I'll be sure to take pictures and provide updates on our blog as we've only had the product for a few days.

Dave & Tina, Love that 3rd picture. LOL