SOLVED: Water Pump - Shurflo 5.7 issues

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Ok - so it appears that my 5.7 is going ( has gone) bad. After I completed my Water Filter install on my Cyclone 3010 - I tested everything out - then I disconnected from the hose and fired up the pump... It just ran and ran - opened a faucet and got water and air. It appears to be an issue with the connection ( quick connect ) at the pump. Shurflo has abandoned those on their new line of pumps - the 4048 only has 1/2 in threaded connectors ... has anyone had there 5.7 fail in this fashion?

Kevin

danemayer

Re: Water Pump - Shurflo 5.7 issues

Kevin, the only problem I've had is leakage of the internal backflow preventer which caused the fresh tank to fill up by itself.

Are you certain you have water getting to the pump? Inputs/outputs reversed maybe?

jbeletti

Kevin,

I'm here at the AL rally and Jay Coffman (jayc) has a pump that is inop. Not the same issue as yours though. We have 12 volts at the output of the fuse when the power switch is turned on and the pump does not try to run when a faucet is turned on. Guess it's dead.

Jim

recumbent615

Jim,

After looking locally for a replacement pump - I just ordered it online today. I replaced every piece of plumbing on the source side of the pump and still go no pressure. I am assuming that it is in the head unit of the pump and although I could have purchased a new head unit for $60, but that would have left me with higher than normal failure risk down the road so I decided to replace the whole pump with the Shurflo 4048. I hope to have it by next weekend so I can get everything put back together.

BTW - did you check for a good ground on the pump?

Kevin

danemayer

Kevin, did you call ShurFlo? I think they may have a 3 year warranty on the pump.

jbeletti

...BTW - did you check for a good ground on the pump?

Kevin

On this pump, there are hot and ground wires coming out of it. I checked across those wires and got 13.1 volts DC. Since those lines go directly into the pump motor, I'm assuming we have a good ground.

Jim

recumbent615

On this pump, there are hot and ground wires coming out of it. I checked across those wires and got 13.1 volts DC. Since those lines go directly into the pump motor, I'm assuming we have a good ground.

Jim

Jim,

You are correct! if you have 12-13.5 across the two lines going to the pump then you have a good ground. Most likely a fried motor...

Dan,

The OEM version only has a one year - if you purchase one over the counter then it has either a 2 or 3 year warranty. I confirmed this with Shurflo yesterday.

Kevin

danemayer

The OEM version only has a one year - if you purchase one over the counter then it has either a 2 or 3 year warranty. I confirmed this with Shurflo yesterday.
Kevin, I see that on the documentation on their website. I also looked back and found that one of the documents I received from Heartland at closing listing warranty coverage and said 2 years on the water pump. There's some room for confusion.

Our rig was 18 months old when I called Shurflo. They asked what kind of trailer and when we bought it and they replaced my pump without any hesitation. Just asked me to peel off and mail them the label. I guess I was lucky.

Jim/Jay, the ShurFlo installation doc says there's a thermal overload breaker in the motor that's supposed to auto-reset. It doesn't show where it is, so finding it might be a longshot. But if Jay is outside of warranty, it might not hurt to open the motor and look. Or maybe give the motor a good smack to try and free up a stuck breaker.

recumbent615

Dan,

I will call Shurflo on Monday and confirm I am out of warranty - my new pump will arrive next Friday.

Kevin

jbeletti

...Jim/Jay, the ShurFlo installation doc says there's a thermal overload breaker in the motor that's supposed to auto-reset. It doesn't show where it is, so finding it might be a longshot. But if Jay is outside of warranty, it might not hurt to open the motor and look. Or maybe give the motor a good smack to try and free up a stuck breaker.

Dan,

I gave it a couple of good smacks on the motor with my hand. No luck. Jay is still in warranty and he's letting the dealer know the pump is gone for sure, so they bring one in before he gets there. He has an appt already.

porthole

Retired

Nothing but problems with the 5.7. Very disappointed with shurfllo on this one.
i am on my 3rd now and don't expect it to last. 1st lasted 9 months and replaced with a phone call through HL.
2nd - shurfllo wanted nothing to do it with even though it was under 6 months old they used the date on the pump.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Replaced ours (even though it was still working) with a Flojet Sensor VSD. Much quieter and more consistent flow.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Ours went out recently and luckily I found an exact replacement online which was on sale. BTW don't bother taking it apart as I tried and the motor part was sealed. I thought maybe it had brushes or something that I could fix, but to no avail. I thought about checking to see if I could send it back to have it rebuilt so I would have a spare but have not checked into that.

recumbent615

Update of sorts - My New Pump arrived on Friday and I installed it today. New Pump does in fact no longer have the quick disconnect connectors - but that does not seem to be my issue since the new pump is also not working. Somewhere in the intake side of the pump I have an air leak. Any suggestions on how to find a leak on the vacuum side of the pump?

Kevin

danemayer

Kevin, in your modification, did you route the fresh water through filters, gauges or regulators? If so, maybe the pump doesn't develop enough suction to overcome the resistance.

If you empty the filter cup on the input side of the water pump, and run the pump, does the filter cup fill up again?

If you still have a hose connection for pumping antifreeze, try the bypass and see if you can pump water via that hose.

recumbent615

Kevin, in your modification, did you route the fresh water through filters, gauges or regulators? If so, maybe the pump doesn't develop enough suction to overcome the resistance.

If you empty the filter cup on the input side of the water pump, and run the pump, does the filter cup fill up again?

If you still have a hose connection for pumping antifreeze, try the bypass and see if you can pump water via that hose.

Dan,

The Filters are on the City side of the Water System - I did not change any thing on the Vacuum side other than replacing the plastic pex fittings with Brass on the By-Pass Valve. I will try bypassing the Winterization Valve tomorrow to see if that is the issue. I just hope the issue is not the connection down at the Fresh Water tank...

Kevin.

porthole

Retired

Kevin, the old pump failed electrically? And the new pump ran but failed to pump?

These pumps should be able to pull a 10' lift, e.g. pull water through the hose from 10' below the pump.

Take the hose off and stick your finger over the pump and run it. Have suction? Pump is working.
Put a hose on the pump inlet and the other end in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Sometimes the pump just needs an easy water source to get a prime when new.

recumbent615

Kevin, the old pump failed electrically? And the new pump ran but failed to pump?

These pumps should be able to pull a 10' lift, e.g. pull water through the hose from 10' below the pump.

Take the hose off and stick your finger over the pump and run it. Have suction? Pump is working.
Put a hose on the pump inlet and the other end in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Sometimes the pump just needs an easy water source to get a prime when new.

The old pump did not fail electrically - just failed to pump *( same with the new one ) so I'm guessing that the old pump is fine and I have an air leak on the Vacuum side of the pump ... I'll be looking for that today.

porthole

Retired

Just looked through the newest trialerlife rag, that pump, in a Heartland Cyclone 3010 is one of the issues this month.

There is also a rather negative Bighorn lament, along with a glaring omission in the "affordable - entry level trailer story.

recumbent615

Just looked through the newest trialerlife rag, that pump, in a Heartland Cyclone 3010 is one of the issues this month.

There is also a rather negative Bighorn lament, along with a glaring omission in the "affordable - entry level trailer story.

yes I saw those articles - The BH letter was not good PR, The Cyclone issue was a Shurflo issue, The same one we have been seeing. Shurflo's response was good, and explained the major difference between the old and new pump lines - eliminating the "not so" Smart Sensor