Heartland Owners Forum - GOING MOBILE!

linuxkidd

Hello everyone,

Today, I'd like to announce an initiative to make the Heartland Owners Forum more accessible while you're away from the larger screen of your Desktop or Laptop computer. That's right... Heartland Owners Forum is GOING MOBILE!

But wait... You have multiple options!

** Platform Name: Tapatalk
OS Supported: iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Chrome App
How to get App:
- Search 'Tapatalk' in the App Market for your device
- http://www.tapatalk.com/mobile.php
- Android: Click or Scan this code:
//heartlandowners.org/qr_code.php?data=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

App Cost: $2.99 for phones, $4.99 for iPad
Pros: Tapatalk is a forum aggregator. They have a directory of forums which support their apps. It's a great unified interface if you like to keep up with multiple forums from your mobile device.
Cons: On Android, Tapatalk requires me to log in every time I go into a forum. There may be a way to have your login stick, but I've not found it yet.

Within Tapatalk, Heartland Owners Forum is listed under 'Society and Culture' -> 'Outdoor and Travel'

** Platform Name: Forumrunner
OS Supported: iOS and Android - Planned support for BlackBerry and Windows Mobile
How to get App:
- Search 'Forumrunner' in the App Market for your device
- Android: Click or Scan this code:
//heartlandowners.org/qr_code.php?data=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.endoftime.android.forumrunner.free
- iOS: Free Version / Paid - Full Feature Version
App Cost: Free Demo version available / $1.99
Pros: Like Tapatalk, Forumrunner is a forum aggregator. Logs in automatically each time! The full featured version is less expensive than Tapatalk.
Cons: This free version has limited functionality. With the full version you can upload attachments, receive push notifications on PM and subscriptions, etc! Not as many forums support Forumrunner. You should check to see if the other forums you frequent support Tapatalk or Forumrunner prior to purchasing either. No iPad / Tablet optimized version

Within Forumrunner, Heartland Owners Forum is listed under 'Forum Browser' -> 'Recreation' -> 'RVs & Travel Trailers'

** Platform Name: Heartland Owners Mobile App
OS Supported: iOS and Android
How to get App:
- iOS: Search for 'HRV Owners' in the iTunes app store, or click THIS LINK to be taken to the app directly.
- The Android App is available in the Google Play Store ( click or scan the QR code to go to the Google Play Store ):
//heartlandowners.org/qr_code.php?data=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_793
Google Play: HRV Owners 1.2

Pros: Custom app designed specifically for Heartland Owners Forum by the forum software vendor
Cons: One app, One forum. If you frequent many forums while mobile, one of the forum aggregators listed above may be more beneficial.

** Platform Name: Native forum Mobile Theme
OS Supported: All Mobile OS's with a built in browser!
How to use the Mobile Theme:
* Browse to //heartlandowners.org/
* Scroll to the bottom of the page
* On the left hand side, click the drop down that says 'vB4 Default Style'
* Pick 'Default Mobile Style'
-- If you'd like to return to the full site, scroll to the bottom of the mobile page and click 'Full Site'
Pros: Supports all mobile browsers!
Cons: It's in a browser, and not a custom app... Some features may work better in an app than browser mode.

Feel free to let us know how each works for you and any issues you find.

Thanks,

LK

Last edited:

danemayer

Testing the Heartland Android App - I'm not sure how the filters relate to full browser choices. "Newest" doesn't seem to display the same content as "What's New".

Maybe you could explain "Newest" and "Top".

Also, so far I haven't been able to open a PDF file from the app. A couple of times it's crashed on one file and on another it just sits when I touch the pdf icon.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Easier than trying to display the full forum on my iPhone. Haven't had a chance to try out additional "features" yet.

linuxkidd

Testing the Heartland Android App - I'm not sure how the filters relate to full browser choices. "Newest" doesn't seem to display the same content as "What's New".

To reduce bandwidth on the mobile experience, the default vB Heartland Owners Android App appears to be using caching of data.. on the server side. Meaning, newest posts are updated on a schedule, not instantly.

Maybe you could explain "Newest" and "Top".
Newest -> Should be posts that have been posted most recently.
Top -> Posts which have had the "most" views, not necessarily the newest / most replied.

Also, so far I haven't been able to open a PDF file from the app. A couple of times it's crashed on one file and on another it just sits when I touch the pdf icon.

Ya, I'm not having any luck w/ PDFs in the vb Heartland Owners Android App. Unfortunatetly... I didn't write this mod... It's provided as a service by the forum software vendor.

**Update: There's a new version of the Android App... Updating the link above now (Will be version 1.2)

I'm also updating the top post with this last detail, but mobile browsers can use a mobile optimized theme by scrolling to the bottom of the main page, and clicking the drop down selection menu at the bottom left area of any page within the forum.

linuxkidd

First post updated with new Android HRV Owners app ( 1.2 ), and details about mobile theme use in all mobile browsers.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Picture management is easier than on the pc. Just take it and post. Like I'm fixing to do on the swear storage post

rick_debbie_gallant

I am trying out the new tapatalk with its Various tools
And tricks. Sure is easier than trying it the other way.

staticmap
13288 N Belsay Rd, Millington, MI 48746, USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Porthole,

The bird belonged to the RV Park. We were trying to have a small group discussion about 10 feet away, and this thing let out LOUD screeches that pretty-much halted our conversation until he stopped. :p