Latest "Trick" at the fuel pump

GOTTOYS

Went to put in some fuel tonight and got caught with the latest trick. Someone had hung up the hose with the nozzle latched and turned on. So while I was putting it in my truck and punched the "Diesel" button on, it immediately started to spray out of the nozzle before I had a chance to put it in the filler pipe. Of course I sprayed down the side of the truck and got some on my clothes. This happened to me a few weeks ago but I caught it in time. I forgot to check today. I have to think this was done on purpose by some brain dead */xx#--. Next time I will put the nozzle in place before I turn on the pump. Just thought I'd give everybody a heads up. GRRrrrr....Don

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the tip. With the price of diesel the way it is you would think folks would be wringing out the hose rather than leaving any in the hose.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Have seen that several times around here. Found it on a gas pump a couple of days ago. I always check now.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Thanks for your post. NJ has "no self-service" so we are well out of the information loop while traveling. Info like this is great to know.

pegmikef

I don't think that works on all pumps, because I know several times I have put the diesel hose in place and tried to set the handle. Most of the time it wouldn't set because I had not pushed the diesel select button. Still haven't grasped that even though there is only one hose for one type of fuel you still have to push a button to make it work.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I pick up the nozzle first and push the button with the tip of the nozzle. Just a habit I have always had, because many of those buttons are, well, frankly a little nasty looking.
(Probably from people poking at them with the nozzle) LOL Trace

Last edited:

wildwolfproducts

I always insert the nozzle into the tank, then turn on the pump. As if the nozzle is not grounded you can have more issues then a little fuel spilled. Diesel not much of an issue. But with Gas, most fires are caused from not having the nozzle inserted before starting the pump. One spark you have a big light show.

I also keep a pair of gloves under the fuel door for fueling. For some reason the stores never clean those Diesel Nozzles. $4 at Harbor Freight for Mechanics gloves that work great for fueling up.
Pete