Furnace issue

Rooskie

I have an 11 Sundance 2900 mk. The furnace runs great and holds the temp well for about an hour. After that, it no longer runs. I have to turn the thermostat off to reset it. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have an 11 Sundance 2900 mk. The furnace runs great and holds the temp well for about an hour. After that, it no longer runs. I have to turn the thermostat off to reset it. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Rooskie,

What kind of thermostat you you have, Digital or Analog? Also when you say it runs great for an hour - are you saying that it runs constantly for an hour and kicks out or does it cycle an and off for an hour maintaining temp?

Kevin

Rooskie

It's digital. If I set it at say 67, it holds the temp at 67 for about an, cycling on and off. After that initial hour is when it shuts down and has to be turned off. It was 19 overnight. I woke up at 0330 and the internal temp was 53. Cold night.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like a defective thermostat, maybe. For under $30, you could replace it with a Hunter digital. I'd go that route before going after the furnace itself.

danemayer

I had a similar problem last Fall. Furnace would run for a while; sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so. Eventually if would stop. It was happening when propane was supplied by the doorside tank. Worked ok when propane was supplied from the off-doorside tank. I replaced the small regulator on the doorside (about $12) and the problem was resolved.

Rooskie

I had a similar problem last Fall. Furnace would run for a while; sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so. Eventually if would stop. It was happening when propane was supplied by the doorside tank. Worked ok when propane was supplied from the off-doorside tank. I replaced the small regulator on the doorside (about $12) and the problem was resolved.

Tried with the other propane tank last might. Same cold result.

danemayer

I've attached a troubleshooting guide. There are some additional possibilities mentioned.

Attachments

• Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
    385.4 KB · Views: 67

danemayer

Some operating theory and more explanation of how the furnace works.

Attachments

• Suburban_Furnace backup.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Suburban_Dynatrail_NT-_Series_Furnace_Service_Manual.pdf
    334.8 KB · Views: 21

2TrakR

Did you ever get a solution to this? We have the exact same symptoms. We've switched to the left side propane tank, but it was happening with the right side as well.

Furnace runs for a while (cycle on/off in normal fashion) and achieve thermostat temp. Works fine for hour or so, amount of time seems to vary. Eventually, with the blower running, it will start click-poof (ignitor then flame, repeat several times). During the click-poof it sounds like the flame is going, sometimes it may not be. Eventually it will stop trying to ignite, the blower will continue for a given period of time and then stops. The unit will not kick back on until the thermostat is set to "off". Turn it back on after 10 seconds and it will start back up and work fine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You should have fired up that new campfire in a can. :)

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

happykraut

You should have fired up that new campfire in a can. :)

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Dave, not a bad idea. That way I could burn the rig down and buy a new one with a working furnace. PS:..I did get it working this morning.