Towing XLT 277 with Dodge 1500 Ram w/Hemi

Phatmoose

Hello - We are newbies - we are purchasing a 2012 SLT 277 that is supposed to be half ton towable. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that is doing that???? And what are the issues we might face? Any thoughts? Are we crazy?
Thanks!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Welcome to the forum... I'm not familiar with that model of trailer, but it all comes down to weight. We tow a 21fbs ( max loaded wt of 6990 lbs) usually around 6,200 lbs. with a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the hemi and it does just fine until you get in the mountains. It will get the job done in the mountains, just a little slow going. It is then when I wish I had a diesel. I believe the max tow capability for the 1500 is around 9,200 lbs., if memory serves me right (never version might be a little more since they bumped up the horse power a bit). With the 1500 a weight distribution hitch and sway bar is a must and makes a world of difference in the safety while towing. Good luck and happy trails with your new trailer!!

Phatmoose

Welcome to the forum... I'm not familiar with that model of trailer, but it all comes down to weight. We tow a 21fbs ( max loaded wt of 6990 lbs) usually around 6,200 lbs. with a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the hemi and it does just fine until you get in the mountains. It will get the job done in the mountains, just a little slow going. It is then when I wish I had a diesel. I believe the max tow capability for the 1500 is around 9,200 lbs., if memory serves me right (never version might be a little more since they bumped up the horse power a bit). With the 1500 a weight distribution hitch and sway bar is a must and makes a world of difference in the safety while towing. Good luck and happy trails with your new trailer!!

Thanks for your reply - it's the Sundance XLT 277RL Fifth Wheel (sorry, I should have mentioned that). It's dry weight is about 7,500 pounds. Our truck has the towing package. Do you think this will be okay? I appreciate any assistance we can get...

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Fifth wheel is a whole different animal, I am sure that you can drag 7,500 lbs., but there is an issue of "pin weight" which I am not familiar with. I am sure someone else will chime in pretty soon. There is a post on here that helps you calculate all the numbers, you might try the advanced window for "excellent fifth wheel calculator".

Speedy

Phat, The Sundance you are looking at has a GVWR of 9900 lbs and I'm pretty sure that your truck will not be able to handle 1980 pin weight. You need to use the GVWR because you will never be using the camper dry (no propane, water or stuff). There are very few 5ers made that can be towed with a F150/1500. Use this website (Heartland Owners Club Member) to calculate your towing capacity.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Don't even think of towing with a 1500 Ram (I have one). The pin weight is too much for your Ram. I had to buy a F-250 to tow our Sundance which is the same as yours. Even with the F-250 I am near the max. pin weight. The 1500 Ram's are good for bumper hitch towing of 7500lbs or less. (been there done that, owned 5, 1500 Ram's)
Issues...first thing to go will be your rear end.

mesteve

I currently tow an XLT 285BH with an F-150 with MaxTow package. This was the ONLY combination that would work on paper with a 1 series truck and a bunkhouse trailer. That said, in real life I tend to be over the RAWR by ~400 when ever we use it, I am under on all other ratings. That ~400 over comes at a cost though. I am constantly worried about trailer contents location, so much so that I probably overload the rear trailer tires (everything has a trade off).

So the answer to can it be done, yes, it can; and safely as I feel no concerns going down the road. The real world question is, is it worth it. To that I would say no, I feel like an aircraft load master every time i want to go camping, making sure weights are all in the right place.

We HAD to buy a trailer as the housing market was next to nothing due to severla large-scale construction projects when we moved here and no housing available on base. Had I had more time, and knew then what I know now, I would have gone bigger all the way around.