jack antenna install

Skyhwk

Has anybody installed a jack hd antenna that rotates on a MGP. If you have let me know how hard is to do or if I need to take it to my dealer for the install

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We installed the Jack HD antenna replacement head onto our existing OEM antenna. It was fairly easy (30 min. tops), but we discovered we had wiring issues which were unrelated to the replacement, and took much longer to diagnose.

If you are wanting to remove the current antenna and replace, that may be more involved.

Erika

PeternLiane

I have installed the Jack antenna head on the SOB and the Jack antenna on our NT. I love how these antenna's work. They work so well. I receive so many more channels now.

If you want a simple install go with the antenna head. It took me 15 minutes to install the antenna head. It took me about three hours to install the whole antenna. I had an issue with the coax connection. The end came right off in my hand. I replaced the connector. Then I had an issue with the coupler. I had to replace the coupler. Once these were replaced everything was perfect.

Here is a link that shows the antenna install.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/driver/jack-digital-hdtv-antenna-479/

camr

Traveltiger, when you replaced the head with the Jack antenna head, does the unit fold flat against the roof? I saw an installation like this (viewed from the ground) and it appeared that the Jack antenna was pointing vertical with the lift system retracted flat. It appeared to me that the rear of the Jack head could rub against the rubber roof. Or is there something there to keep the antenna head from contacting the roof membrane?
-Cam

TravelTiger

"does the unit fold flat against the roof?"

The head ends up facing parallel to the lift system, so it actually takes up less space than the old antenna head, and folds "as flat" as the old one did. I'll see if I have a pic and update the post when I find it.

Erika

Niles

We just replaced our Batwing with the Jack, what a difference!!! I was able to put the Jack in the same hole the wing came out of. The worst problem about the whole install is getting the old putty off, so you can mount the new Jack. I had to make the hole in the ceiling just a little bit bigger so it turns easy. If you are a DIY it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe 3 hours, 2 to get the putty off and 1 for the rest of it.

Skyhwk

Mine is a fixed antenna it is on a round mounting rod and does not fold down on the roof and does not rotate I was wondering if anybody has replaced this style of antenna that is on the MPG and what kind of problems came up.

PeternLiane

Mine is a fixed antenna it is on a round mounting rod and does not fold down on the roof and does not rotate I was wondering if anybody has replaced this style of antenna that is on the MPG and what kind of problems came up.

I have installed the Jack antenna head on the SOB and the Jack antenna on our NT. I love how these antenna's work. They work so well. I receive so many more channels now.

If you want a simple install go with the antenna head. It took me 15 minutes to install the antenna head. It took me about three hours to install the whole antenna. I had an issue with the coax connection. The end came right off in my hand. I replaced the connector. Then I had an issue with the coupler. I had to replace the coupler. Once these were replaced everything was perfect.

Here is a link that shows the antenna install.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/driver/jack-digital-hdtv-antenna-479/

Yes I have. It took me about 3 hours to install the Jack antenna in my NT. All in all it wasn't to bad. I removed the old bat wing antenna with two main problems. The first problem was removing putty and caulking. It did take a little bit to get all that old stuff removed. The second problem was with the coax connector. The connector came off right in my hands. I had to replace the connector with a coax compression connector. I connected everything together and discovered one more problem. The coax coupler was also bad. I replaced the coupler with a gold coupler. Now everything works great. I get great reception everywhere now.

I also included a link in my last message. He put up some great pictures. Look at that link. It'll also give you some good pointers.

usnthedog

I went to the site and it talks about 12v power to the antenna and not to use the OEM power injector. How do you handle that? My antenna is in the from of the trailer and the pi is in the rear with the TV. I was thinking about the full replacement. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread.

Jeff

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Here is ours using the replacement head.

View attachment 18981

I have the same setup,I finally good to use it for 7 days and well pleased so far. If it continues to recieve as good as it did on this trip is well worth the change out. I didn't have any in an out picture problems I had with the oem antenna......Kenny

TravelTiger

Jeff,

I think it says to not use them at the same time, use one or the other. We removed the coax from the old antenna head, removed the old antenna head from the mast, secured the new Jack head to the mast, and reattached the coax to the Jack head. If you are replacing a batwing style antenna head that is original to the trailer, this should work. The antenna booster (the little red button next to the coax connection inside your trailer) should power the Jack head. There is a little light on the Jack head that lights up to tell you it is getting power. (In our case, it didn't at first, till we found a loose connection.)

Hope this helps. If you can find the install instructions PDF online, it explains it much better.

Erika

Boca_Shuffles

I just finished replacing the crank up antenna mast with the fixed Jack antenna mast. Having completed this, I would not recommend this solution to others for the following reasons:

1. Do you really need to replace your old antenna? The Signal Commander is a powered antenna just like the Jack. My reception is about the same as before the replacement. A number of people have found bad coax cable crimps when they did the replacement. The bad connectors may have been the major reason why they had poor reception.

2. The factory used two holes to install the Signal Commander. One for the coax and one for the crank up mechanism. The Jack pedestal will only cover the major hole. The coax cable hole is outside the base of the pedestal and will have to been filled and patched.

The patch in the Dicor patch kit is not quite large enough to go a great patch. They recommend a 2 or more inch cover of the hole from the edge of the patch. If you put the patch under the new mast, the patch will only extend about an inch beyond the coax hole.

3. The Jack mast stands a little higher than the air vent covers. My concern is tree branches hitting this unit. IF you just replace the head on your existing antenna mast, the antenna will be less likely to be broken off.

The material of the Jack antenna is plastic. This unit should shear off fairly easily if you hit a tree branch. The rotation portion of the antenna is plastic, so this should not be a problem. The coax cable will be problem if the mast is sheared. This will cause the head to pushed into the rubber roof material, causing a tear.

Jack antenna mast.jpg

My reason for the complete mast replacement was to have the signal indicator right at the directional mechanism. In hind sight, the separate signal meter could have been attached to the bedroom TV port and the old crank up unit could have been retained.

The power amplifier for my Signal Commander worked fine with the Jack antenna. No replacement required.

If you are having problems with your powered antenna on your RV:

1. Check the coax cable connections. You may have to take the old unit off tho get to the connectors on the roof. The old antenna mast can be installed using the existing holes. You will not have to patch or drill new holes, only re-chaulk the old mast,

2. Install the Signal Meter on your bedroom tv port, either directly or through a splitter if you have a bedroom tv. This may help you find stations better and you may not have to replace the antenna head.

3. Replace only the head of the antenna with the Jack head. The installation is quick and easy. This will also provide better clearance for tree branches.

There is the easy way and the hard way. I think I chose the hard way. :rolleyes: