My Truck and Trailer Weights

Gary F

Excellent Jim - Good information and a lot to mull over. I'm the opposite of you; I’m over on the GVW but under GCW.

Welcome to the "marginal piggy club". I'm sure the big three left some GCW / GVW on the table when determine weight limits. One tons can handle weight much higher then the Mfg limits but we all have to sleep at night and keep thing safe while out on the highways.

Thanks for sharing the data. I never really looked in detail at Dodge’s towing data until now.

jbeletti

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I agree about the margin left in by the Mfrs. That's why I ended up calling DaimlerChrysler today. The data on their website and the data on my truck door did not match. They took my VIN and looked it all up for me. They even told me that they put conservative figures on the website and that's why it did not match what they put on the truck.

I'm gonna call it "good to go". Glad I am not pulling a Monticello. Can you imagine? I'd probably be over on everthing but pin weight.

Take care,

Jim

rosco

towing

Jim, I told you to get a "Ford" Ha Ha .. Just kidding... I am very impressed with your weight report and thank you for the info...If I go Landmark it will be a Mt Rushmore .. So all your experiences and feedback is very important to me and well appreciated.... Oh.. guess what I did a few weeks ago??, I ordered a Dodge brochure and received it last week...Ha Ha .... I still haven't made my final decision on the TV.... Take care my friend and enjoy..:)

jbeletti

Rosco,

Thanks for the compliment. I hope others can use the Excel template. In fact, if anyone wants to send me all their weights and ratings, I will put it in the template for them.

As for a Heartland, of course you'll choose one Rosco. In their class, they're a great value. Of course, to each his own on the floor plan, but the Mt. Rushmore floor plan really works out nicely with the optional island. So much extra storage and food preparation space. The island is worth the money if one needs that space. I must admit the I do like the look of the Grand Canyon but the ability to be able to walk around the island and access the kitchen from either end is what more appealed to me on the Mt. Rushmore.

On the Ford vs. Dodge, for all the Heartlands except the Monticello, you'll be in good shape with either choice. That Ford F350 with DRW and TowBoss option may even do the Monticello - not sure. For you though, it may come down to the Cummins vs. the Powerstroke and your preference for either vs. their long-term performance/reliability records.

Take care,

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hi Jim
Well I like the weights on your unit more than mine. I weighed mine several months ago, I was about 900 lbs over my GCVW for the 3500 Silverado with Duramax (the best). That was prior to my finding out that I was carrying alot of water in the insulation of the floor due to a couple of leaks. I have not had a chance to re-weight yet, hope to do it on my trip to Mi. Canada, and maybe Alaska at the end of the month. I will let you know what I find out.

glenn

Rick and Michele

Fulltimer in 2007
I was wondering why the concern with the Monticello? Seems the dry weight is really not much different, however the max rating is higher due to the triple 6K axles. Am I missing something? I have the same 2005 Dodge but with a 6 speed manual with Jacobs Brake and was planning to buy thte Monticello. I would appreciate your thoughts.

slaytop

I finally weighed my Shenandoah today. The tanks were all dry, some kitchen, bath and bedroom items and 50 lbs in the storage area. The trailer weighed 13,300 lbs. Hitch weight was 3,220 lbs. Total weight with truck was 20,400 lbs. My truck has a 3,300 lb. hitch max and GCWR of 22,000 lbs.

It will be very easy to go over the max limits, especially the hitch weight.

Clark

I just pulled my BH3055RL onto a local scale to get rough checks on the weights. They are: Truck 7250 lbs (1/2 tank diesel, me, wife, two 50lb dogs)
Trailer 12520 lbs (30 gal fresh water and loaded for travel)
GCW 19770 lbs

The Silverado 2500 LT3 CC LB 6.6L Duramax/Allison is rated for 13400 lbs towing capacity so I have about 900 lbs to spare in that category and for 22000 lbs GCWR so I am around 2200 lbs under there. Feel better now that I have some actual figures.
Clark

irvin56

31qbs pull trailer

My weights were empty front 2820 rear 2280 lbs total 5100

with trailer 5th link front 2820 rear 2920 trailer 5280 total 11020 lbs

on 6th link front 2720 rear 3080 trailer 5220 total 11020

I will pull on 5th link as it is level and does not take weight off steering axle
trailer weight 5920 lbs

gm canada told me my cgvw is 12,000 lbs
This gives me about 1,000 lbs to load my grub and cloths.

Last edited:

2010augusta

Kevin, I moved your part of the tread to a new area, here

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22558-07-GMC-1500-and-a-NC-trailer