Cyclone 3914 Tow Vehicle HELP!

az_mike

All: My apologies if the answer to this is posted somewhere else, looked but just can't find anything. We are in the process of purchasing a 2009 Cyclone 3914 41' toy hauler and we also need a new truck. I have looked, and looked, and looked for what tow vehicle is capable of towing it and our toys. The 3914 shows a trailer weight of just under 14,000 and a total weight (GVWR?) of 18,000.

I am looking at either a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x2 Dually with 5.9L Cummings Diesel or a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 3500C HD 4x4 diesel. From what I've found the 06 RAM is only rated for max towing rating of about 16,400 and a GCWR of 23,000 with a axle ratio of 4.10 (which means ABSOLUTELY nothing to me I'm sad to say). I can't find a rating on the 07 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, but it looks like it's about the same.

Here comes the stupid question. Have any of you used either of these vehicles and if so have you had any trouble? Will either of these vehicles pull the 3914? I don't want to purchase either of these vehicles if they won't pull or if I'm gonna have issues.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
Sierra Vista, AZ

az_mike

yes...both are duallys. just can't seem to track down an accurate tow rating for either of these. one site will say this XXXX and another site will say that XXXX....confusing as all ****....

as far as 4x4...someone told me that 4x4 actually lowers the towing weight...which made no sense to me...but THEY said it not me....

caissiel

In those years only the Fords are rated to tow your trailer. But all off them will tow it if you want to, because I see them towed with DRW's all the time. The 18K and a Ford will put you over the 26K load and will require a CDL, so you might want to look at that seriously.. Though I see lots of these heavy trailers towed by 3500's and without CDL. Only takes once to get caught with an overload ticket or accident. Just my observation.

jwv

youll be fine with any one ton dually. (diesel)

All: My apologies if the answer to this is posted somewhere else, looked but just can't find anything. We are in the process of purchasing a 2009 Cyclone 3914 41' toy hauler and we also need a new truck. I have looked, and looked, and looked for what tow vehicle is capable of towing it and our toys. The 3914 shows a trailer weight of just under 14,000 and a total weight (GVWR?) of 18,000.

I am looking at either a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x2 Dually with 5.9L Cummings Diesel or a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 3500C HD 4x4 diesel. From what I've found the 06 RAM is only rated for max towing rating of about 16,400 and a GCWR of 23,000 with a axle ratio of 4.10 (which means ABSOLUTELY nothing to me I'm sad to say). I can't find a rating on the 07 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, but it looks like it's about the same.

Here comes the stupid question. Have any of you used either of these vehicles and if so have you had any trouble? Will either of these vehicles pull the 3914? I don't want to purchase either of these vehicles if they won't pull or if I'm gonna have issues.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
Sierra Vista, AZ

porthole

Retired
as far as 4x4...someone told me that 4x4 actually lowers the towing weight...which made no sense to me...but THEY said it not me....

The extra weight of the pieces and parts that make up the 4WD are also subtracted from the gross vehicle rating, lowering the weight capacity.

I disagree with the "any 1 ton DRW can tow this.
The older models do not have the capacity.

That Cyclone can easily get up over 18000 pounds, I would base my search with a 20k capacity minimum.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have a 2007 "classic" 2500 D/A and it is rated at 22K GCVW with a 15600K 5er. If I remember correctly....a "classic" 2007 3500 is rated at 23500K but dont remember what the 5er rating is. The only TV that I know of that is "legal" to pull that much weight is any 2011 or newer duelly. Chevy-Ford or Dodge. The only other one would be a 450 Ford or 4500 Chevy if you want to buy used. A 2006 Dodge would be WAY OVERLOADED.