Snowman

archbarb

This has been the hardest note and the saddest weekend I believe I've ever had. We found out Friday that our 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier "Snowman" has a canine splenic mass. Xrays showed the liver and spleen were about twice there normal size.

For the past year or so he weighed approx 92-95 lbs. and we've noticed he had been losing weight. We took him to the vet three weeks ago and he weighed 79 lbs. The vet gave a visual exam and checked for usual signs around the stomach and intestant area for any lumps and checked his heart beat and found nothing unusual, except that his gums were not a good pink color. Take him back home and watch him, and if you notice any changes bring him back and do a full workup.

We brought him back home and for the past few weeks he struggled to do anything. He has always slept on the foot of our bed but he didn't have the energy to do that any longer. His appetite has seemed normal but he continued to lose weight. We went back to the vet Friday, April 27th, three weeks from the first visit to have a full workup. His weight had dropped again from 79 lbs. to 69 lbs. From there the exam went down hill. We had xrays, blood work, which were all out or range and ultra sounds which exposed his liver and spleen swelling. In other words his liver and spleen were robbing his body of energy. I asked the vet if he's in pain, and he said no just very very tired.

We can go to Jacksonville, FL. and have a biospy, surgery, transfusions and possibly Chemo and hope for the best. The outcome of that procedure is a 50/50 chance. The vet told us the steps, biosopy to see if its cancerous, surgery to remove the spleen, and transfusions to replace the blood he's lost from the ruptured spleen and lastly he could bleed to death on the operating table.

We decided to take him back to the comfort of his home, which we have tried to make this weekend his best. We have discussed everything with our children and we really don't want to have him go through all of the above procedures and pain, and still not be sure of the outcome.

We as a family have decided to have him put to sleep Monday, cremate him and bring his ashes home with us. Its been very sad this weekend to just watch him lay there, laboring to breathe, where before he was the most active dog we've ever had!!!!!

I do hope we have made the right choice, will we ever know? Barb and I have shed many tears this weekend. I pray that when tomorrow come's I as a man have made the right choice to put my best friend to rest!!!!!
snowman.JPG
Archie

Mike Repp

Archie,

My heart goes out to you and your family. This is always a hard decision to make, we had to do this a few years back with a Dalmatian we had. They are just like your kids.

May Snowman rest in peace.

Mike Repp

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Archie & Barb, Our thoughts are with you. We know how hard this decision is to make and we truly feel your pain. Keep Snowman in your hearts forever.

CliffP

Sorry to hear about Snowman, that's a hard, hard thing to go through and it's easy to second guess your decision but you have to believe you did the right thing. We've lost both dogs (Trouper 9 and Tucker 13) in the last couple of years and both came down to having to make that choice. I couldn't bear to see either one of them suffer any more. It would have been selfish to make them. Sorry again for you loss!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Barb and Archie,

Our hearts ache for you. Very hard decision you guys have made but it is made out of love for Snowman.

For Snowman

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

jbeletti

Arch and Barb,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Snowman. We don't event want to think about when our time will come with our fur kids. I just don't know what to say here other than I'll be praying for comfort and understanding for you both.

Jim

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We are so sorry to hear about Snowman. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of your family.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry to hear this Archie and Barb, our thoughts and prayers go out to you, to comfort you during this difficult time.

Erika

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am so sorry to hear about Snowman!! You made the right decision for him and just know he will always love you no matter what!! It is so sad cause they are so easy to love and so darn hard to lose..

Last edited:

loafer

Sorry to hear about your puppy.An extremely hard decision to make as they are part of your family .Know that he will not suffer any longer and try and take some comfort in that .Remember the good times even in 5 years they can become your best friends.
Our thoughts will be with you in this difficult time
Bill

PeternLiane

We're very sorry to hear about your Snowman. It's a very hard decision to make. But, you made the right decision. He's not in pain anymore.

vakthund

We feel for you. We had to put our male Collie down a few years ago and within two months our female had to be put down also. I felt for a long time that we betrayed her by taking away her lifelong friend and that is why she gave up. When we had to put down our new puppy due to kidney failure I was convinced God was punishing us for these decisions. I am blessed with a strong family and through them and with a lot of soul searching we got through it. For us it was the right decision although I second guessed it for years.
We do regret not getting another dog right away. If there is any advice we can give it is to get another dog - it will help you heal, it will help turn sad memories into good ones like only dogs can. No animal can ever replace your Snowman but it will be different, it will give you happiness and comfort and help you move through your grieving. We finally got two Collies, April and Merlin, and although they will never replace Tigger, Copper, or Abby they helped us to smile when we think of them rather than cry.

Our best to you and your family.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
So sorry.... You made the decision out of love and concern for your pet rather than selfishness for yourselves. That is the right way to do it. Our thoughts are with you.
Kristy