Jensen Radio

Sandpirate69

This is an old question, but here goes. I can watch & hear the DVD's through the surround sound. Now, I would like to hear the TV via the surround sound. I know it can be done, I have seen it on this forum. I know I copied it, but can't remember in what file I put it in. Can someone assist?

Thank you,
Ivan

rick_debbie_gallant

I ran a digital optical from the Tv to the surround sounds system. I also ran an HDMI cable from the dvdnplayer to the Tv.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

caissiel

I would think he means that ran cable from DVD to TV and again from TV to Surround sound amplifier. That way you have sound from the TV to the amplifier when DVD not running.

I have mine connected from TV to Amplifier at the Aux. connection at the back, but I do not have the HDMI connections.

TXTiger

I spoke to my son who is a installer for Cox Cable. He said that most television broadcasts are NOT in surround sound. You can hook up the Jensen amplifier to the television via the HDMI, or RCA cables but you won't get surround sound from a television broadcast in most cases.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I spoke to my son who is a installer for Cox Cable. He said that most television broadcasts are NOT in surround sound. You can hook up the Jensen amplifier to the television via the HDMI, or RCA cables but you won't get surround sound from a television broadcast in most cases.
Good point, but at least you will still get 2 channel sound through the front speakers.

rick_debbie_gallant

If it says something like "broadcast in 5.1 Dolby" of something like that you should get surround sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

SandPirate69,

The answer varies depending on what inputs and outputs are available on your TV and Surround Sound system. At a minimum, you must add a wire(s) from the TV output to the Surround Sound Input. This is where it can get dicey.

If your TV has audio output connectors that use the RCA Phono type of jack, and there's a matching set of audio input connectors on the Surround Sound, you can pick up a cable just about anywhere for a few bucks. They typically have Red and White color-coded connectors. If you have a video cable with Red/White/Yellow, you can use that, leaving the yellow connectors hanging. Note that some Surround Sound boxes have a single set of RCA Phono jacks that are not marked as either input or output, which is what ours has. Surprise, on ours the same connectors can be input or output. The brain inside figures out what to do.

If you don't have matching RCA Phono connectors on each device, see if there's another type of connector present on both; maybe optical audio. If you can't find matching connectors, you might be able to find an adapter that converts signals...

If you get the wire connected, the Surround Sound menu will have to be used to select that connector as the audio source. Some TVs also have to have a menu selection made to activate audio out.

You may want to review your manuals to see what inputs and outputs are available. If you don't have hardcopy, you can usually find them by model # on the manufacturers website.

As others have noted, there's a difference between getting sound through the speakers and getting 5.1 surround sound through the speakers.

pegmikef

As Dan said it depends on what you have. I had to take the Jensen in my Edge out from the wall to access the pigtail for the audio in plugs and used the audio out on the tv to these plugs (all RCA Victor connectors). To remove it carefully pry off the plastic trim piece on the outside of the unit using a butter knife or thin flatheaded screwdriver. This will expose the screws holding the unit in. Remove them and just pull the unit out. My current TV does not have audio out ports so I had to use the tv's earphone/headset output. I had to buy a stereo miniplug to RCA Victor Jacks adapter to hook up the audio cables. You can get one at Walmart for a couple of bucks.

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

Samsung tv, Samsung sound system (both came with our big horn). Tv has optical out, sound system has optical in. If something is broadcast as surround sound I believe (I think) I get surround. If not oh we'll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk