Flag Pole Mount...

FoxHunt

First let me apologize for starting a thread that I am certain already exists somewhere out in the world wide web. When I search on this site, I get topics that couldn't be more unrelated to the key word(s) that I type in... so with that said, here goes...

I have a 9' Flag Pole made from PVC that I would like to mount to the tongue area of our 183. I want to be able to mount it easily and quickly yet have it secure so that it isn't flopping around in any direction when the wind has "Old Glory" blowing in the breeze.

I have several thoughts, but each one has an issue with sway and I'm not sure how to avoid that. I need the base of the pole to be at least as high as the tongue to keep the bottom of the flag off of the trailer roof.

If you have any pictures/ideas, I am looking forward to your input. I'm pretty good with tools and coming up with solutions, yet this has be baffled.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How's about mounting a section of PVC pipe to the tongue that is large enough diameter to slip your flagpole into it. Glue a cap to the bottom end (drill a small hole to drain water) and make it maybe 2 feet tall to support the flagpole. You could even install a pin through it and the pole to make sure it doesn't get blown out.

FoxHunt

That would certainly work. I may swing by the "home improvement" store and pick up some hardware to do the mounting. I am trying to keep the movement at the base to a minimum to prevent the pole from getting too sloppy. I could drill two holes (perpendicular to each other) and run a bolt with a wing nut through each one to take the slack out of the fit of the two pipes.... I want to keep it simple, but I don't want it to be cheaply fabricated. (I'm now shopping for a way to light it at night without being a bother to others around us. I'm thinking a pole mounted light to keep it up high and out of the windows)

Last edited:

pegmikef

Last edited:

pegmikef

That first one looks like the light I recently purchased from FlagPoleBuddy for my flagpole. It's still in the box, awaiting setting up the rig. But I tested it and it works.

Yeah, the best I can tell they look the same. polesandholders.com also has the same one that flagpolebuddy has and the price is about the same.

FoxHunt

I took Johndar's advice and went ahead and made the mount using a slightly larger PVC pipe and three brackets. I also drilled four holes (through both pipes)... each pair is perpendicular to the other to prevent the pole from being sloppy inside the other (they are not snug for ease of set-up).

Here is a picture of what I've done. I am considering running a wire from the pole to the tongue to keep the pole from rubbing the front of the trailer if the wind is blowing straight at the front.

With the WDH hookup, I was a little limited to where I could mount the holding tube that will not be removed.

(I threw wing nuts on the four bolts holding the pole in place to make it easy to place and remove)

photobucket-4024-1335813005963.jpg

Attachments

• photobucket-4024-1335813005963.jpg
    photobucket-4024-1335813005963.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 91

JohnDar

Looks mighty nice to me! I'll be waiting by the mailbox for the BIG royalty check :rolleyes:

FoxHunt

The trailer is a 183, and I installed a 12' Dometic Trim Line awning from camping world on it. I have an 11' on our pop-up and it works great. It is a bit of a pain in the rear to roll it up, and a small folding step ladder is required (or a picnic table if there is one near-by!).

Here is the link to the awning... http://www.castawayrv.com/dometic/ae.htm

I didn't order from them, but camping world's website isn't working for some reason... I ordered in blue. I can open it up and post a picture if you'd like. Under the MPG forum, there is a post about adding awnings. A fellow member posted pictures of his bag awning as well. Check it out!

FoxHunt

I know this isn't the place for the question, but is there a way to view responses to posts you've made without navigating the entire site? The search box does nothing for me. If I searched tire sizes it would give me results for flavored coffee. I'm not sure what is going on here... (new to the forum... just curious). Also, why do some threads show me the most recent post and others show the original post "first"... this is very odd... Thanks.

JohnDar

I know this isn't the place for the question, but is there a way to view responses to posts you've made without navigating the entire site? The search box does nothing for me. If I searched tire sizes it would give me results for flavored coffee. I'm not sure what is going on here... (new to the forum... just curious). Also, why do some threads show me the most recent post and others show the original post "first"... this is very odd... Thanks.

Go to your profile and look on the left side of the screen, under your avatar. You should see selections for listing your posts, as well as threads you started. The search function does leave a lot to be desired.

Hi, I have been reading the forums for several months and have learned alot of info.
This is my first Post, hope it helps others.

Flag pole holder that is easy, simple, effective and CHEAP.

After reviewing many different flag pole holders I didn’t find exactly what I wanted. They were too inconvenient, such as you must remember to drive up on the base while setting up and leveling the rig or using weights to hold down the base, or drill holes in to my rig, use a receiver hitch and most were just too damm expensive. So I made a ladder mounted holder that is simple, cheap, unobtrusive and effective. I have been using mine for over 2 years with no problems.

A 18” long piece of 1 ½ in diameter white PVC, two chrome ¾” electrical standoff clamps, galvanized bolts, washers and nuts. A short machine screw, lock washer and nut for the top clamp and longer bolt thru both sides of the PVC on the bottom clamp to act as a pole stop. Use the conduit clamps on the ladder uprights. Mount low to allow easy pole installation and removal. Works great. Total cost less than $10.

Have 3 photos but can't figure out how to add to post.

Parts list;
18 inch long WHITE PVC pipe 1 ½ inches diameter.
2 – ¾ inch electrical conduit standoff mounting brackets - chrome.
1 – ½ inch long 3/8 inch galvanized screw with beveled head for recessed mounting.
1 – 2 inch long 3/8 inch galvanized bolt with hex head .
3 – 3/8 inch galvanized nuts
2 – 3/8 inch small galvanized flat washers
2 – 3/8 inch small galvanized lock washers

Use the white PVC to blend with the RV and chrome conduit clamps to blend in with the ladder and galvanized nuts and bolts to avoid rust. The stand off type conduit clamps have the proper distance to hold the PVC out from the horizontal ladder rungs.

Directions;
Remove the bolts from the conduit clamps and spread apart and slip over the vertical ladder poles directly above horizontal steps or at least on one step to avoid possible long term slippage.

With both clamps situated loosely, hold the PVC pipe so the bottom is about a 1 inch below the lower clamp.

Mark the holes thru the bottom of the clamp onto the PVC pipe.

Drill the 3/8 inch holes thru both sides of the PVC pipe.

Use the longer bolt on the bottom hole with the flat washer on the outside of the PCV, then a nut on the bolt inside the PVC. Insert the bolt thru both PVC holes and into the conduit clamp. Install the lock washer and nut inside the conduit clamp base. Snug up the bolt and nut inside the clamp, then tighten the bolt inside the PVC against the clamp. This procedure will avoid squeezing the PVC, while securing it to the ladder and provide additional support.

Install the shorter screw thru the upper hole in the PCV with the flat washer inside the PVC and the lock washer and nut inside the clamp. Use the hole thru the outside of the PVC for the screwdriver shaft to tighten screw.

Hints;
The length of the PVC may be longer or shorter to match the ladder curvature.

Purchase the parts at an ACE or Tru-Value hardware store rather than Home Depot or Lowes as they will cut the PVC to the length and have a better selection of nuts, bolts and washers.

The holder can be positioned at any height on the ladder, but the further from the RV the better to avoid the pole from hitting the top overhang of the RV. Lower mounting to assist with setting and removing the pole.

No problem with the wind lifting the pole out as the wind is sideways and there is nothing to act as a lip for the wind to lift.

jimtoo

Hi Pepperdans,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and also welcome to the Heartland family. As you have seen, we have a lot of great folks here with lots of information, both repairing and making mods and adding things like you just posted.

You should be able to post pictures after one more post. It think your limited untill then.

Enjoy the forum and thanks for the information you posted. And I'm sure pictures will help.

Jim M

ncc1701e

If you don't want to reinvent the wheel do a little shopping at Flag Pole Buddy. The pole I'm using is not fully extended in this picture but still easily lets me fly two 3' x5' flags (US & State) with a really nice led solar light on the top. The light keeps the flag lite all night except on those really cloudy days when it doesn't get enough charge.

Jan Flag and Dish Setup.jpg Jan Truck and Trailer.jpg

Tom