Water pump location...better spot?

dougw

So after having the same issues as alot of people with the shurflo pump, I replaced mine with a Flojet vsd. While this pump seems to work better it is turning out it might have 1 issue. It seems that it takes the pump a bit to bring the source water back up to the pump. It is like after it's been run the water gravity drains back to the tank.

So this promps my question, other than convenience, why aren't the pumps mounted closer to the tank and let it push the water to the faucets rather then having it pull the water up to it that long distance.

I was thinking of moving the pump down by the tank. Maybe it would also help with noise and vibrations. (please don't turn this post into how to quiet the pump post).

Another thought is to put in a 2 gal header tank to help supply water.

Just some thoughts
doug

jnbhobe

Are you missing a back flow preventer ?? I have never had any problem of loosing the prime or pressure. Just askin ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with jnbhobe. Also make sure the inlet connection is tight. Air might be getting in allowing it to siphon back to the tank. Doesn't sound normal for sure.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
So after having the same issues as alot of people with the shurflo pump, I replaced mine with a Flojet vsd. While this pump seems to work better it is turning out it might have 1 issue. It seems that it takes the pump a bit to bring the source water back up to the pump. It is like after it's been run the water gravity drains back to the tank.

So this promps my question, other than convenience, why aren't the pumps mounted closer to the tank and let it push the water to the faucets rather then having it pull the water up to it that long distance.

I was thinking of moving the pump down by the tank. Maybe it would also help with noise and vibrations. (please don't turn this post into how to quiet the pump post).

Another thought is to put in a 2 gal header tank to help supply water.

Just some thoughts
doug

Doug,

The Pump should hold prime for some time unless you have an air leak on the tank side of the pump. Do you see any air in the water when it is run via the pump? It is normal for the water to retreat some over time but not so much that vacuum is lost. The location of the pump should not be an issue, most of these pumps have no issue pumping 8 ft vertical. I assume that there is a back flow valve built into the pump. Does that happen only when the pump is turned off or do you see the issue after the system is fully charged and later you open a faucet? If the system charges and stays charged ( with the pump on and not running) then the back flow valve is working properly.

Kevin

dougw

Interesting thoughts all. I built the pump as instructed w the manual. There is a filter / strainer that is attached to the inlet side, no anti siphon af any type. I did notice from install that the strainer is only 2/3 full of water at any time. Not sure about an air leak on the inlet side but the origianal shurflo and no real issue. Not sure if Flojet has a one way valve.

Just seems like in the end having the pump closer to the water would be better, but I do see that keeping inside and warmer would be better.