weather alarm

TeJay

Yes,
Get a 12-V toggle switch of some type at Radio Shack. They will have a good selection. Remove the 4 screws that hold the radio in its place. Using a volt meter determine which wire is your always hot lead into the back of the radio. Mount the switch in a convenient location so you can toggle it off and on and wire the switch to control the power. This is what most do to control that blasted radio. It will go off when bad weather is around and you don't have to be in your camper. When we first got our NT it would go off all the time so I fixed it for good. I don't need a radio to tell me it's going to rain especially in the middle of the night. Now if you feel the need to be alerted at 3-AM and to have that piece of mind just switch the radio on. If I can be in control then I'll choose to be in control.
TeJay

Cassiopia

Thanks so much for your help. It's been quiet annoying -- middle of the night, in the driveway at home. I'll get the toggle switch today!!

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Thanks so much for your help. It's been quiet annoying -- middle of the night, in the driveway at home. I'll get the toggle switch today!!
I came home for lunch one day and thought the Fire Department was making some kind of emergency announcement in our little town. I got out of my car and heard an announcement about some sort of high wind warning or something up on the Straits of Juan de Fuca. It was our NOAA radio on full blast out of the outdoor trailer speakers.

My husband did what Tejay said! Other folks on here have had the same problems, and this forum is a great place to get some advice.

GaryWT

I would like to find a way to disable just the weather radio. Last year not a problem, just kept the volume off when not in use, this year since the volume is off we get a high alarm sound that drives us nuts. We leave the radio on sometimes for the dog but to return to the weather alerts is not good.

GoinNorth

Yes,
Get a 12-V toggle switch of some type at Radio Shack. They will have a good selection. Remove the 4 screws that hold the radio in its place. Using a volt meter determine which wire is your always hot lead into the back of the radio. Mount the switch in a convenient location so you can toggle it off and on and wire the switch to control the power. This is what most do to control that blasted radio. It will go off when bad weather is around and you don't have to be in your camper. When we first got our NT it would go off all the time so I fixed it for good. I don't need a radio to tell me it's going to rain especially in the middle of the night. Now if you feel the need to be alerted at 3-AM and to have that piece of mind just switch the radio on. If I can be in control then I'll choose to be in control.
TeJay

Best mod I've done!!!

JRBEN

I'm going to have to do the toggle (kill switch) mod. We just picked up our new 2011 26LRSS this past Saturday, and dropped it off at the storage lot at Ft. Meade. Got it unhitched just in time because thunderstorms were rolling in. We came back to the storage lot on Sunday to put some things in the camper, and the radio was going at full volume. What kills me is that not only does the NOAA activate the radio, it activates it at full volume, and with all the speakers, including the outside speakers. I had read somewhere that you can tune the NOAA to one of the stations where you don't have any reception and it will eliminate NOAA activating the radio. However, this doesn't work for us because we are picking something up on all of the NOAA channels. :(

GaryWT

At first we put the volume down, then the annoying alarm would go off ifthe volume was down so we switch the skeakers off just like another poster. Now we leave the TV on for the dog so she does not have to deal with it. On the other hand, the radio has not come on for awhile, I played with the remote to try to get if off for good, maybe I broke something...

JRBEN

I went out to the storage lot yesterday and disconnected the battery until I can install the kill switch for the radio. i think while I'm at it I'm going to install a cut off switch for the battery as well.

bishop32

I think it is a major problem. I have the "Portable Handheld NWR-SAME Weatheradio" and somehow the alarm clock setting was turned on and I can't find anything about turning the alarm clock off. Than I called RadioShack.