ATF: MPG - Storage Door Locks

FoxHunt

Our 2012 MPG 183 has several outside storage compartment locks that absolutely will not work.

I am interested in replacing them, which is pretty simple to do, but I am scratching my head as to what size they are. Are the locks 7/8"?

Where can the locks be purchased so that they are keyed alike with the existing locks? The locks on my 12 year old "other brand" trailer all work as smoothly as the day they were new. I can't figure out how a trailer that is less than a year old can have bad locks. Several won't begin to turn... others the key fits sloppily inside and it takes a lot of jiggling and moving in and out to get it to turn.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I tried using the search option, but I have yet to get a single result for the keyword(s) I enter.

jimtoo

Sounds to me like you just need lots of good lock lub, forgot the name of it,,,,or WD40 will work. If you want to replace them,, pull one out, take it to Home Depot or Lowes or any lock smith and they can order or sell you new ones.

Jim M

Also,, check the bottom of this thread for a search already done for you. It's on every thread and is very good about similar thread subjects.

camr

I'm with Jim on this one. Twice a year a give the locks a quick shot of silicone spray. It is a little cleaner than WD-40, but either will do just fine. I notice on my Edge that the keyways on the locks leave a lot to be desired. If I am not careful, the key can go into the lock upside down. When I compare these locks to the ones on our old '80's Coeman Sequoia pop up, the difference is night and day. Just another example of "they don't build 'em like they used to".
-Cam

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Are these the locks with the "CH751" key? It is stamped on the key. If so, I have a couple on my rig that were hard to turn. They hit the back of the compartment frame unless I pushed in hard on the lock. Along with the silicone spray idea, there's a screw on the back of the lock that can be loosened to give more play. I did that and it helped, but you have to periodically check the lock to make sure the screw isn't backing out completely. You might try that temporarily while you work on replacements.

FoxHunt

I flipped the tabs on the back because a few were too tight for my liking. The locks that need replaced are beyond lube... I tried that and they are still too messed up to turn. I can order locks from camping world, but the measurements (5/8, 7/8, etc etc) don't specify what you are measuring... the overall length? Just the threads? At $5 it is a cheap fix. Just need some advisement on the length so I can get them fixed the first time...

FoxHunt

Also, how do you search for an existing thread without starting a new one? If I type "lock" or locks or door locks, I get responses for anything and everything except locks. The search function does not work at all for me, just trying to prevent multiple threads with the same topic. (and save your time responding as well). Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just remove one and measure the length of the barrel. Not sure about the doors on a MPG, but my BH needed 1/1/8" length barrels when I replaced the locks.

GOTTOYS

Just bring one with you to Home Depot or any of the Big Box stores. They sell them as cabinet door locks. Come with several different latch combinations so you can make them fit any thickness of door. If you dig through the rack you will find several that will be keyed alike. The cost is low maybe under $5.00 each..Don

FoxHunt

I ordered all new locks from the site I linked. Time will tell how they hold up. I almost pulled the trigger on the "pop machine" style keyed locks. A little pricey for me at this point.. trying to outfit the thing with other stuff since it is new to us