Aftermarket TPMS system?

sengli

I have a new chevy silverado 3500HD dually, and it does not have a TPMS system from the factory. Saw there are several systems aftermarket for the trailer, and the truck. There is one from TST, Doran, and from tire safeguard. Has anyone had one of these? Do you recommend it or not? Looks like they tell you to replace the tire valve stems with solid ones if you mount the wheel sensors. I was considering the 10 channel unit which would monitor the truck tires and the trailer as well, and gonna run like $500.00.

jnbhobe

Wow $500 I think you can buy the TST for less direct, call Dan Covington at TST he is the owner. The unit will monitor 22 wheels and is made with permanent batteries #510 or replaceable #507. I've had mine for 4 yr. and take off the sensors in the winter when the rig is in storage to save on the batteries.

sengli

Well on the TST website the ten channel unit sells for $499. So you think maybe they will discount it, if I call? So how do like the unit you have? Are you happy with its performance? Did you replace the tire valve stems with solid one or not?

porthole

Retired
$500 sounds right without any sales or discounts. $300 for the basic kit of monitor and 4 sensors and $50 each for 4 additional sensors.

Since trailer tires are the biggest concern, go with the basic 4 tire kit and then when funds allow add sensors for the truck.
I have compared all the brands in depth and like the TST the best.

I have had both TST versions and prefer the newer, replaceable battery version,. I like the monitor better. It is easier to find locations to mount, has an on off switch, is "flat". And it auto locates the sensors so that they do not have to be manually entered into the system.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I also have the TST 507. I only have sensors on the trailer. I've had 2 sensors have issues over a 3 year period but they were replaced quickly under warranty. Great customer service from TST.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have the Doran RV TPMS and have had it for several years. It works great and the only problem I have had is when several sensors quit working. I contacted Doran, they had me send them back and they replaced them at no charge to me even though I was out of warranty. Doran stands behind their product.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have the TST for the trailer only. I've considered it for the truck, when I replace the tires and stems (OEM's are rubber with gated caps), but probably won't. If I do need to add air to the inner or outer dually, I'll have to remove the tires to be able to get the sensors off. I don't want to add extensions to the stems, either. A regular check by hand using an air gage should keep me out of trouble.

As for the OEM stems, they will get replaced with metal ones simply because they flex too much when I do check them.

Vtxkid

I've had the TST 507 TPMS for about 1.5 years with sensors on the RV and the system works great!.
I also have a 3500 Dually and am looking at adding sensors. TST has just come out with internal sensors that work with the 507 monitor. I've been working with Dan on these to see if they will do what I need for my Chevy. I received 2 of them last week and pulled my rear wheels on the passenger side and realized they sent Internal senors that had a valve stem diameter that was to small for the existing valve stem hole. Metric size apparently... I will say that I like how the sensor is positioned to the rim when it is in place. The internal sensors have a 7 year battery and you will be able to put air in your tires without removing any external sensors which in some cases can be very difficult on some trucks. Dan is in the process of sending me the correct size internal valve stems made for my rims. More to come!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had the TST 507 TPMS for about 1.5 years with sensors on the RV and the system works great!.
I also have a 3500 Dually and am looking at adding sensors. TST has just come out with internal sensors that work with the 507 monitor. I've been working with Dan on these to see if they will do what I need for my Chevy. I received 2 of them last week and pulled my rear wheels on the passenger side and realized they sent Internal senors that had a valve stem diameter that was to small for the existing valve stem hole. Metric size apparently... I will say that I like how the sensor is positioned to the rim when it is in place. The internal sensors have a 7 year battery and you will be able to put air in your tires without removing any external sensors which in some cases can be very difficult on some trucks. Dan is in the process of sending me the correct size internal valve stems made for my rims. More to come!

Be interesting to see what the price per sensor will be. But if it doesn't work with the 510 system, it's a moot point for me.

Wharton

We have had Pressure Pro for many years. We had a problem with the receiver and it was replaced well out of warranty at no charge. I wouldn't consider traveling without out a TPMS. We can easily check our tire pressures each morning. Only problem is when the weather is very cold the low pressure alarms goes off when we plug it in in the morning. That is understandable as tire pressures vary so much in a day and cold weather really reduces the pressure.