Fragile fender skirts for Northtrail with

I did some unsuccessful searching in both the axles, brakes section and the wheels/tires section about fender skirts. I have a 2010 Northtrail 280RLS with the widetrac suspension. The plastic fender skirt has about a 16" section between the wheels that is subject to flapping while driving down the road. On the last trip I took one of them off because the plastic cracked around several of the screw mounts and it was in danger of flapping totally off. I talked to the Heartland parts dept. to see if they had made any design changes to this part or if they had heard of the problem before. No and No. A replacement fender skirt is approx. $70. The material on the original skirt is only .055 thick, pretty flimsy.

It seems to me that if I buy two new fender skirts and don't do something to reinforce them, especially in the middle section between the wheels, that they will just flap and crack again.

Have any of the rest of you experienced this problem and have any advice? Before wasting money on new ones I'm inclined to try to fix up the old ones with some epoxy and fabricate some type of metal bracket to attach from the bottom of the middle section up to the trailer frame. I saw another brand trailer at our storage lot upon which the owner rigged up a similar bracket.

Thanks for any advice,
Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I see no reason why you could not rig up some sort of bracket.
Take a look at some big fifth wheels for some ideas.

Peace
Dave

PeternLiane

I haven't had any trouble with ours. But I don't see any reason why you can't put a bracket of some kind on it.

jnv

I had the same problem with our 2009 NT. I took off the fender skirts and epoxyed around the screw holes where it had cracked. I then drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole on the frame adjacent to the middle of the fender skirt lined up with the wide track suspension sticker. I also drilled a hole in the fender skirt. I then screwed in a 1/4" threaded rod into the frame and cut it to fit through the skirt. I used 1/4" nuts on the inside to secure the threaded rod to the frame and the inside of the skirt and a 1/4" stainless steel nut cap on the outside of the skirt. I did this two years ago and have had no further problems. Hope this helps you.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I also found a few other similar, older threads. It appears that the cracking around the mounting screws is a common problem for many trailer brands, not just Heartland. Thin material to save weight, possible overtightening of screws with screwguns, sometimes missing braces--all possible causes. Heartland now has a brace so I may try to get them from the parts department-or make my own. The new fender skirts are about $50-$60 plus some hefty shipping charges because they are big. I've got the skirts off now and will be trying some epoxy to fix, reinforce the cracks. I will also look at rubber washers or foam between the skirt and the trailer skin, plus maybe some washers painted white on the outside to disperse the screw pressure over a wider area. Then add a brace-not sure yet whether factory or homemade. I saw some inexpensive "L" shaped shelf brackets at The HD that might work with some modifications.
Thanks again.
Tom

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Call Heartland Customer Service, have your VIN handy, they may send you a bracket at no cost. When the plastic part of my ladder rung cracked, I called to inquire, and they sent me a few extras, no charge. When I noticed at an RV show they were adding wooden handrails by the steps in the new Elk Ridge models, I called, to see if I could buy one. They sent one to me, for free. That's good customer service.:D

Erika

BorgX

I have the same issue. The fender skirt on my left side has cracks at all but one of the holes. I called customer service and they said that there should have been brackets installed at the factory when it was built (they use aluminum scrap). Nope. Mine does not have them... mine is a 2011. Asked about the issue and they are sending me new skirts, not the brackets though. I will fab my own. I feel stupid for not calling before the cracks. I noticed on the first couple of trips... I could see them flapping in my mirrors. Talked to the place I bought it and they said there was no problem. I shouldn't have given up.

rick_debbie_gallant

I have the same issue. The fender skirt on my left side has cracks at all but one of the holes. I called customer service and they said that there should have been brackets installed at the factory when it was built (they use aluminum scrap). Nope. Mine does not have them... mine is a 2011. Asked about the issue and they are sending me new skirts, not the brackets though. I will fab my own. I feel stupid for not calling before the cracks. I noticed on the first couple of trips... I could see them flapping in my mirrors. Talked to the place I bought it and they said there was no problem. I shouldn't have given up.

I have a Big Horn 3670 and I am having the same problem, cracks at the screw hole, rusting screws and the bracket issue. Guess I will have to live with it though. Out of warranty.