PDI Fee $ $ $

TXTiger

Was at a RV show and stopped by the local Heartland Cyclone dealer to take a look at some new models. Sales man mentioned as a sales pitch why I should buy from them is that they do not charge a fee for the PDI. Do most dealers charge for the time to do a PDI? I thought it would be included in the purchase!!!

GOTTOYS

I'm sure the cost of the PDI is part of their overall profit structure, but they just don't tell you about it and include it as part of the sales price. I hate add ons and surprises, Just give me the straight out price and stop playing games ...Don

CactusTwo

we paid $800 for what?, paper work (don't they get a commission from the profit made), a quick walk thru (1 hour maybe), rig was dirty out in the field (washed by the rain!! you know) sawdust inside from manufacturing, 1 semi flat tire I had to point out!!, not a drop of water in the FW tanks...did they test for leaks....OH ya! 4 dealer decals installed around the rig....on straight too! SERIOUSLY!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did not pay any PDI fee when I bought my rig.

If you have to pay someone to make sure the product they are selling you is in good working order, something is wrong.

There was a dealer in SoCal that was ripped here about a year ago for charging a PDI fee.

If they are using that fact as a sales pitch? That's a laugher. It should always be included IMHO.

My suggestion is, find another dealer. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No PDI fee when we bought our rig. No 1 hour quickie push, but a 3+ hour "monkey-see, monkey-do" until I was satisfied. They found some minor items that I missed, including some damage to the edge of the dining table (which they ordered and replaced). Rig was inside, clean, hooked to power and water. And it was evident that they'd gone through it before we did. General RV, Birch Run, Michigan.

bighorn3370

I have bought three trailers from General RV Wixom. I never saw a PDI charge. As with John, I had walkthough of monkey see, monkey do. As I got them all when it 80+ degrees outside, the only thing I took their word on was the heater. When I got the BH, the countertop had a nick in it that they showed me, and they had a call to Heartland for the fix. I do not think there were any minor things for them to fix, as they must have done it all before I was there. I work for a construcion dealership, and we get paid by the manufacturer for the PDI. Ernie

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
At the first mention of a PDI fee I would be out the door.

That's like buying a car without a test drive or explanation/demonstration of how the accessories work. Even though it was our second Heartland 5th Wheel, our PDI took 4 hours. We tested every outlet, every sink/faucet, A/C, furnace, etc. What we missed was checking to make sure the converter was plugged in and charging the battery. Not fun troubleshgooting your 12v lighting, etc at 11:00 at night.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Really appreciate seeing what all you checked out during your PDI. We're hoping for ours to be scheduled in the next few weeks and as the dealer is far from home, I want to make sure we check EVERYTHING. :D Seeing as how it's so hot here in the south, I wouldn't have thought to check the heater either. But come December, I'll sure be wanting it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While you're going over your rig, look at all exposed cabinet hinges (if they have them) to be sure all mounting screws are installed. Check the clearance and alignment of all mating cabinet doors. Look under the kitchen sink, maybe with a small mirror and insure that there are two clips on the rear, on the front, and one on each end supporting the undermount sink. After running the water at every faucet, reach up and rub your fingers along the supply lines underneath and the drains. A loose fitting can make a real mess if not caught early on.