what happened to the tall diamond plate in the garages? 2013 3950 only has 2inches of plating

steiny93

ordered a 2013 3950; hadn't seen one in person before ordering
dealer had my 3950 come in last week but wrong color (see other thread)

but...
i noticed that the diamond plate only comes up about 2 inches in the garage; is that right?
in the brochure it says "Diamond Plate on Garage Walls (Prevents Tire Scrub)" additionally the pictures in the brochure appear to have a solid 10 inches of plate on the walls

with the low plating my rc trucks aren't going to scrub the walls but anything I fit into will scrub the walls like crazy
what happened to the tall plating? is that gone now?

porthole

Retired
Now that is a line change I would certainly want to know about. Mine is about 12-14 inches tall. And, that is something now one tells you when ordering, you can have the plate installed at 3' if you want to pay for the extra material.

Guess they are saving money in production. I purchased a piece of DP from a local metal shop last month, thinnest they have (1 gauge above what is in trailer garage) was $52 for a 4x4 sheet.

steiny93

porthole; on your rig from the factory was it 12-14 inches tall or did you add that?

when we ordered I bet we asked 10 times; what are the options; all the dealer did was point us at the brochure (2011) and said; those are your choices
if there is a secret 3' tall diamond plate option I'm going to be totally torqued

i'll call heartland on monday and get the scoop

porthole

Retired
I will measure my plate later today, but whatever it is it was a standard item.

There are several items on all the trailer lines that are available that are not listed as options. Most dealers don't have a clue that there is a "hidden option list"
Most folks find out about it while researching the various forums.

I found out about he 3' diamond plate only because I happened to have seen it at the factory during my tour. That was not even an option, just something the factory can accommodate as it really doesn't cut into production that much.

One example of unlisted options on the Cyclone 3010 is front AC. If you look in the brochure it is listed as specifically not available on the 3010.
Mine was done at the factory build.

steiny93

just got off the phone with heartland customer service
per there production manager 2013's have the low diamond plate on the walls; rational being that this is a design change in order to make the garage more visually residential
customer service also stated that if we as end customers wanted to heighten the plating they could coordinate a purchase with their supplier of the diamond plate but we would be on the hook for having it installed

no factory option to extend the height

personally;
i'm fine with heartland changing their design but if they do that they should also update the marketing info as currently it feels like a bait and switch; in particular remove this line from page 3 of the current pdf "Diamond Plate on Garage Walls (Prevents Tire Scrub)"

Bksvo

Apparently they made the change for some 2012 models. My 3800 has a December 2011 build date and has short diamond plate.

Urban350

I understand the concept as my 15" diamond plate does very little to prevent tire scrub on my walls and maybe 3" high would look nicer in garage when no toys are in it.

porthole

Retired
Running "design" production changes - something I certainly think should be broadcast to the dealers so that they can stay on top of it. And once an order go in.............

I didn't measure it yet, but here is a picture of mine.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=99924&viewfull=1#post99924

rick_debbie_gallant

Ifnwhen we get a toyhauler I have been thinking what would i do. I think I wouldst head to a big box building center and get me some FRP paneling and do wainscoating on the walls. Easy breezy to clean and nothing will hurt it....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Well heck, being a retired firefighter and knowing my polished diamond plating, that was what caught my eye when I started looking at haulers. Shiny diamond plate can't be wrong, residential setting included!!