I Can't Believe It

gjackson

After washing and waxing the BH before heading to Colorado, we had a nasty West Texas Dirt storm that coated the 5er. There was no time to worry about it, so we headed out, collecting bugs as we traveled. Today DW and I decided to give her a bath and I must say she was looking all spiffed up. After admiring our work for a little bit, DW was helping me put away supplies and thought she was helping by reconnecting the water line. She went on in and heard the commode girgling. She lifted the lid and you guessed it . . . she got a face full. It's obvious she connected the wrong hose.:rolleyes: Needless to say, another wash was mandatory, top to bottom and including the basement. Sure do wish Heartland didn't put a heater vent right beside the commode! Now we have that mess to contend with. Just had to vent a little, so pay me no mind.

Riverman

That is exactly the situation that provoked me to change our tank flush connection to a male fitting. I now carry a "flush" hose with double female ends strictly for flushing.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Sorry to hear about the mess, it's not fun......I hope it's some consolation to know

You're not alone in that club!

gjackson

Does anybody have advice on how to go about cleaning? I'm thinking it went down the heater vent and am not sure how to proceed. There's also the possibility that it went down around the commode to an adjacent wall. Looking for advice!!!

jnbhobe

Does anybody have advice on how to go about cleaning? I'm thinking it went down the heater vent and am not sure how to proceed. There's also the possibility that it went down around the commode to an adjacent wall. Looking for advice!!!

Pull the wall in the basement behind the UDC, that will expose the area under the bathroom and above the holding tanks and the black will be visable.

gebills

Hi Glen & Sue: Sorry to hear about your accident with the commode. Not absolutely certain of your floor plan layout or your layout in the basement. Seems like the 3670 toilet facilities are on the port side. Mine (in a 3455rl) are on the starboard side. If it were my unit, I would simply pull the 4" ID heat hose out and replace it along with wiping down the vent up to the living area floor. This hose should be available on line or at a good hose supply house locally. I was crawling around in my basement earlier this afternoon working with some PEX tubing and heater hose, and I think mine would be pretty simple to pull out and replace. Your's however, may or may not be that simple.

As far as the black water running down the wall around the commode, I would be using an antibacterial solution to wash and wipe everything down, including in the basement area as necessary. As well, I think my quarter-round (baseboard moulding) could easily be pulled up so as to clean beneath it. I would also be using long gloves on my arms while doing this. I don't think there is any easy solution unless you hired someone to come in and clean it up. GlennB.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a look-see of what to expect behind the walls in a 3670. These are the infamous "Basement o' Doom" photos. Those who have seen them before should avert their eyes. In the second photo, you can see the bathroom heat duct in the background, where it lays on the drain pipe. You will have to crawl up in there to reach it. Best access will be from just left of center as you look at it.

View attachment 19100View attachment 19101

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Here's a look-see of what to expect behind the walls in a 3670. These are the infamous "Basement o' Doom" photos. Those who have seen them before should avert their eyes. In the second photo, you can see the bathroom heat duct in the background, where it lays on the drain pipe. You will have to crawl up in there to reach it. Best access will be from just left of center as you look at it.

Haven't seen it myself yet...but it's my understanding that things have improved dramatically behind the basement walls since 2009...

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker

Those photos make the organizer in me more than a little frazzled! I'm sure Eric will get an ear full the first time I have to climb back there. :)

I'm still unsure what cased the problem though. Which hose got hooked up to what incorrectly? I certainly don't want to the same thing!

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Those photos make the organizer in me more than a little frazzled! I'm sure Eric will get an ear full the first time I have to climb back there. :)

I'm still unsure what cased the problem though. Which hose got hooked up to what incorrectly? I certainly don't want to the same thing!

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If they did indeed clean up the mess back there, then your rear basement area may not look as bad as mine. From what I see in the posts, the mix-up occurred when the city water supply hose to provide running water to the rig was mistakenly connected to the black tank flush inlet and left on. That fills the black tank and the only way out is via the toilet.

I took a Sharpie and labelled my inlets. Not for me, but for any service tech who might venture into my UDC for something. I'll probably make up some tags for the valves on my manifold, too.

Refertech

Hi johndar I recently purchased a 2013 3585rl and removed the basement divider wall to take look. I was shocked, things have not changed since 2009. Still messy and unorganized. I repiped the plumbing side just to make it look neat and added a bladder tank to reduce pump cycling. The electrical is my next project,but looks like a big job. I understand that to keep prices down they do not hire trades people, but still you would think they would follow a predetermined plan for each model and not just throw every thing in.