r-pod vs MPG?

bigmaho

Newbie here. Looking at both. Haven't seen the MPG and not crazy that they don't make them anymore, but I like the larger 15" wheels, diamond plate up front, and front and rear windows. Anyone have experience with both? Thanks,
Billy

jimtoo

Hi Billy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Don't know about the the r-pod, but the MPG is well built and customer service by Heartland RVs is the best. Besides that, you would make great friends and get lots of support here on the Heartland Owners Forum.

Jim M

marc515

We looked at the rPod and MPG and like both; however, we did like some of the features offered on the MPG, like the 15" wheels, the larger hitch (2-5/16" VS 2"), and the black water flush. Additionally, the ground clearance is higher on the MPG.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.

bigmaho

Thanks Marc and Jim,
Just sold my trusty Jayco Baja pop up, so I'll decide between the 2 within the next week or so. I like the same features as you Jim. I usually camp in back country sites, so the increased ground clearance is definitely a plus! Just wish they made a model without air con and the microwave. Usually our only source of power is the Deep cycle battery and maybe a solar charger.
I'll post back when I'm an owner.
Best,
Billy

We looked at the rPod and MPG and like both; however, we did like some of the features offered on the MPG, like the 15" wheels, the larger hitch (2-5/16" VS 2"), and the black water flush. Additionally, the ground clearance is higher on the MPG.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.

kb0zke

At the last RV show we attended there were a couple of R-Pods, and none of them had microwaves. Whether they are installed at the time of sale, or whether they are an option I don't know. I would imagine that a dealer would remove the microwave and/or air conditioner and adjust the price if you asked. I'm not sure that it would be worth it, though. Microwaves are ~$100 (or less). That would give you additional storage space and save a bit of weight. The a/c would be more work to remove and put a vent or something in the hole, so you might not save much money there, either, but you would certainly save some weight. Selling the camper later on would be a problem, though.

PeternLiane

Newbie here. Looking at both. Haven't seen the MPG and not crazy that they don't make them anymore, but I like the larger 15" wheels, diamond plate up front, and front and rear windows. Anyone have experience with both? Thanks,
Billy

I've never heard that they aren't making the MPG anymore. I know that they're not making the Edge. The MPG has new models coming out too.

Elidh

I've never heard that they aren't making the MPG anymore. I know that they're not making the Edge. The MPG has new models coming out too.

Peter and Liane, do you mean there will be new different MPG models? Do you know where there's more info on that?

kb0zke

Good question! Earlier this year Heartland announced that they were "suspending" production of the mpg, but didn't say that they would no longer make it. The mpg is still listed in the line-up, but the Edge is not. We always get lots of interest in our 181, so maybe the suspension was only a temporary one while they let inventories go down a bit, or the line was used to build another name. I suspect a call to the factory would answer the question.

PeternLiane

Peter and Liane, do you mean there will be new different MPG models? Do you know where there's more info on that?

There are new MPG models out this year. I've seen a bunch of new MPG's on the road this year. So people are buying them. The Heartland website has the new models listed.

M

Mcreech

I j ust wanted to clarify for everyone, Heartland stopped production of both the Edge and MPG last year and as of today, we are still not producing either one. Now this doesnt mean we wont start them up again in the future but for right now and at least the next 6 months, Heartland will not be building either of those models. Now let me point out if anyone is planning on buying either of these brands, either from a dealer or a private individual we still provide warranty and parts....

bigmaho

Well, bit the bullet. Purchased the MPG 181 sight unseen from a dealer in SD. Only misgiving is the width of the dinette bed, 36". Hopefully one of our grown kids and a friend will join us on occasion, so considering options for a 4th. Anyone using a folding camping cot? Since the 181 has a slide out I imagine it would fit. Also, we are pulling with a small but tough TV, a Jeep Liberty diesel. TC is 5000/500, but wondering about anti-sway. Needed? As for brakes, the Jeep is tough to wire for a controller, so I use the Tekonsha wireless controller with my cargo trailer, works like a dream. Will do the same for the MPG.
Really psyched. Can't wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks!
Thanks for all your responses and warm welcome. Honk if you see us on the road :)
Billy

jimtoo

Welcome to the family Billy. We hope you make lots of great memories with your MPG. Join us at a rally somewhere.

Jim M

kb0zke

Welcome, Billy. I don't think that you are going to get sleeping space for four adults in a 181. I'd go with a weight-distributing hitch with anti-sway. My Mercury is bigger than your Jeep, and that's what I use. The mpg has a gross weight of 3800 pounds, which is well under your towing capacity if I read your post correctly, but you will have a MUCH easier time of it if your trailer doesn't try to steer the Jeep.

Enjoy the new camper!

PeternLiane

Well, bit the bullet. Purchased the MPG 181 sight unseen from a dealer in SD. Only misgiving is the width of the dinette bed, 36". Hopefully one of our grown kids and a friend will join us on occasion, so considering options for a 4th. Anyone using a folding camping cot? Since the 181 has a slide out I imagine it would fit. Also, we are pulling with a small but tough TV, a Jeep Liberty diesel. TC is 5000/500, but wondering about anti-sway. Needed? As for brakes, the Jeep is tough to wire for a controller, so I use the Tekonsha wireless controller with my cargo trailer, works like a dream. Will do the same for the MPG.
Really psyched. Can't wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks!
Thanks for all your responses and warm welcome. Honk if you see us on the road :)
Billy

Yes you should go with a Weight Distribution hitch and Sway Control. The added safety is worth the cost.

ryanman

Hey bigmaho..We bought our 181 from Green Star in Rapid City SD in March. They are very nice people and I am betting it's the same dealer you are using. I am pulling with a 1500 Silverado and only went with an anti sway and I have not had any problems, but it's a bigger TV than you are using. Good luck on the trip to SD. and no, you cannot sleep 4 adults in the 181. We sleep my wife and I and a 2 year old, it's very kozy.

bigmaho

You guessed right, and they do sound like nice folks and it seems like they have the last 2 (soon to be 1) new 181's anywhere. Will be driving out in a few days to meet them and the rig. I'll post again after I'm in it.
All the best,
Billy

Trailer_Joe

Can someone give a little more information on the Weight distribution hitch and sway control please. Im in the market for an MPG or Edge at the moment and Ill be towing with a Jeep Liberty diesel as well.

Thanks.

Tom

Bwk2000

Enjoying the good life!
Can someone give a little more information on the Weight distribution hitch and sway control please. Im in the market for an MPG or Edge at the moment and Ill be towing with a Jeep Liberty diesel as well.

Thanks.

Tom

Think I can help with that Tom;

The first pic shows my tow vehicle (TV) and the MPG 183 .... notice how all wheels are riding level including the MPG with no sag at all.

The second pic is a close-up of the WD hitch and Sway Control that makes this possible. The WD hitch transfers some of the weight off the hitch and rear tires of the TV to the front TV axle and the trailer axle (adjustable). The Sway Control is a friction plate (at least this style is) which is also adjustable and reduces the tendency of the trailer to sway in cross-winds and when being passed by larger vehicles.

Since your TV is of similar size to mine, I highly recommend both as this will make the towing experience much more enjoyable.

Cheers, Kai

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg