Towing with a 2005 Chevy Tahoe

Nathan

Alright GURU's, I have a question on towing? I have been reading alot on Towing capacties etc...

I am towing a North Trail 30QOK with a dry weight of 5995 LBS with a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 V8 with a good WDH/sway bars/electronic brake control. The curb weight of the Tahoe is 5133 lbs. The GCVW is 13,000 lbs with a towing capacity of 7800lbs.

SO this is my thinking on the math (GCVW) 13000 - (curb weight of Tahoe) 5133 - (dry weight of 30QOK) 5995 = 1872.

1) Does this mean I am well within my limits to load UP TO 1872 pounds worth of stuff (people, dog, food, clothes, etc..)

2) Does the WDH and other safety stuff give me an extra "buffer" of GCVW?

I don't really think I would load nearly 1872 pounds worth of equipment, people etc., but is my thinking accurate. According to Heartland's towing guide website it does list that the 30QOK can be towed by a Tahoe. I do have the larger 5.3 engine as well. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. BTW, this year we will be towing as far North as Accadia and the White Mountains and as far south as D.C..

Finally, I know having a 3/4 ton gas or diesel would be more optimal but my question is, is the Tahoe adequate? I currently plan on trading the Tahoe in in approximately 2 years and would rather not speed that up. Here are the SPECS on the Tahoe.

Thanks guys!2012-04-06 18.24.24.jpg

BTW, I did ask this question kind of in this post but I have more specifics know. The answer I got from the responder was confusing to me.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I think you'll be at your limit sooner than you think. And you will have to cross that bridge by desiding if your happy with the way it tows your rig.

Speedy

Your Tahoe has a GVWR of 6800 lbs. That's the total weight of you, your family, your gear (in the Tahoe) and tongue weight of the trailer the tahoe can safely handle. The trailer NT 30QOK is 7200 GVWR. Add the two together 14000 lbs and you have GCWR. I don’t see a GCWR on your door sticker so where did the 13000 number come from?

Using the curb weight you provided 5133 lbs and the calculated tongue weight of the trailer 7200 / 13% equals 554 lbs of tongue weight. Add that to your curb weight and you get 5687 lbs, now subtract 5687 (trailer tongue & curb weights) from 6800 GVWR and you get 1113 lbs. That’s how much weight you have left before exceeding the limits of your Tahoe. In that 1113 pounds is you, your family and everything you pack in the Tahoe.

Does this explain it better? You need to use the max numbers (GVWR) and not dry weights because the dry weights do not include water, propane, battery, hoses, sewer lines, pots-n-pans and such. It adds up very quickly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm no expert, but also do some research tow vehicle length vs trailer length. Tail can wag the dog, even if within weight limits. BTDT.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The WDH will not increase your towing capacity. It's function is to transfer some of the tongue weight along the frame of the TV to the front axles so everything rides level. You can expect single digit mpg's when towing that rig.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We had a new 07 Tahoe, 5.3 with 3.73 axle ratio, towing a KZ 22' Jag TT 4400 dry weight. (6000lbs loaded) The Tahoe had enough engine and brakes but the rear end failed. Towing with a 30mph head wind @ 55 mph from Texas to Cali smoked it. Be sure to get a Mag-Hytec cooling diff. cover and 90-140w syn. gear lube.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Nathan,

I had a 2000 Tahoe - and towed a 26 ft TT ( SOB ) 5K Dry for the better part of 5 years before I upgraded to my current 3/4 Ton truck. I would strongly recommend a anti-sway bar or you will find your self all over the road. The Truck has plenty of power and good breaks ( replace pads every year ). The statement about gas mileage is right on the mark - I was getting 8-12 MPG when towing ( cape runs would be 12 ) anything that resembled a mountain would be down at 8 MPG... I never took the Rig our of the general North East NE, NY and PA until I got the Truck.

Kevin

Nathan

Ok, So we came back from our maiden voyage with the new camper. On the way down there I felt as though I was being swayed a bit all over the road. Perhaps is was me getting use to the new rig. However, I kept my tow speed to 55-60mph on the Highway on the way back and felt really comfortable with her. I also believe that she has plenty of power to pull the camper. SO here is my conclusion. Although she has plenty of power the wheel base is still a little short. My Tahoe will be used to pull the camper until I can reasonably afford to buy a bigger truck with a LONGER wheel base. I am currently looking at F250's but am in no hurry to buy one. As long as I keep the speeds on the highway down I will be ok. I rather get there safely, then not at all. Thank you for all your input!

Last edited:

ZNK

Nathan,

I agree with previous posters. I am very close to my max weight with my F150. But I can hardly tell with my weight distribution and sway bar hitch. This is a must if your close to your max capacity. When I first started off with my trailer I didnt have the weight distribution hitch tight enough and I got a terrible pulling and jerking feeling while driving. It is amazing how a hitch can help relieve that.

Zack

Nathan

I do have a WDH and a sway bar. Next question, Do you all think and F150 would be sufficient or do I need to go with a F250? It will have to be a Supercrew because of the kids and Dog.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Nathan,

The F150 or a 1500 class truck will have a longer wheel base so it will tow better, but you will still be somewhat underpowered so I would go with a F250/2500 class truck.

Nathan

Ok, So we came back from our maiden voyage with the new camper. On the way down there I felt as though I was being swayed a bit all over the road. Perhaps is was me getting use to the new rig. However, I kept my tow speed to 55-60mph on the Highway on the way back and felt really comfortable with her. I also believe that she has plenty of power to pull the camper. SO here is my conclusion. Although she has plenty of power the wheel base is still a little short. My Tahoe will be used to pull the camper until I can reasonably afford to buy a bigger truck with a LONGER wheel base. I am currently looking at F250's but am in no hurry to buy one. As long as I keep the speeds on the highway down I will be ok. I rather get there safely, then not at all. Thank you for all your input!

*Update*
I raised my L brackets on my Sway bar/distribution hitch as per the manufacturer about 4 inches. The project took about 3 minutes and I am now able to travel appropriate highway speeds with no sway. SOOOO, I would like to get a bigger truck, but for now I will be using the Tahoe.