heat pump / ac unit in garage

rb71

I'm just curious why the don't offer a heat pump / ac in the garage area? i have been reading and told the garage is colder or hotter then the rest of the trailer.
thanks bobby

71stang99

Is it possible to add the heat pump to a unit? I added the AC in the bedroom and it has the switch positions for heat and when I pulled the cover off to look it seems like it owuld be a plug in module.

jimtoo

The add ons are not heat pumps,,, they add a heat strip to some of the units. If you have a unit that is all metal flashing on the lower unit, I think you can purchase and add a heat strip. If the unit is one that has plastic in the mounting area you cannot add a heat strip. I think I am correct on this,,, hopefully someone that has done this will jump in soon.

Jim M

I see the factory offers an a/c, heat pump unit for the living area if ordered as an option. But do not list heat pump for bedroom or garage area.

Last edited:

Urban350

My a/c has the heat pump built into it (not a heat strip) to explain it simply, because that is all I know. It is basically like having the a/c run backwards so it produces heat instead of cooling.

71stang99

This is what my unit looks like now. The pic isnt that great buy you can see the connector of which I was wondering if a 'module' could be plugged in for heat. Also if I am looking at it right it has the metal flashing on the bottom. Curious, is there wiring or the electrical capacity to add a third ac/heat unit to the garage? Not saying I want to but just wondering if its possible.

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    ac.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 57

jimtoo

To be sure about adding a heat strip to your unit, get model # and call Dometic USA, 800-544-4881.

Have your VIN handy and call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032, and ask about wiring in the garage area. I don't "think" there is wiring in the garage area for a/c.

rb71

i dont a cyclone or any toy hauler yet. but if i get 1 i will use it as living space and not a garage area.
thanks bobby