Space saver bags?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Has anyone tried these to store seasonal gear or the extra sheets and pillows for overnight guests?

We bought these 9 years ago and they saved us a lot of space during a move but they lost air after several months. I'm wondering if that's still and issue with these bags. Seems like they would be an RVer's dream.

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Has anyone tried these to store seasonal gear or the extra sheets and pillows for overnight guests?

We bought these 9 years ago and they saved us a lot of space during a move but they lost air after several months. I'm wondering if that's still and issue with these bags. Seems like they would be an RVer's dream.

Alice

Yes. Right now, there's several of them sitting on the bed (at storage yard) with the linens and towels we washed and packed the end of last season. The linens for the sofa bed are packed in those bags and in the drawer of the sofa. I was going to segregate my "trailer" clothes from my other stuff and pack them, too, but never got around to it.

twohappycampers

Yep, tried them. I too found that they lost air after a while (well, I guess they don't "lose" air, they "gain it back" - thing is, I put some blankets in one, stored it behind the couch, and when it re-inflated it jammed itself in so tight I had a huge struggle getting the bag and blankets out. Does this description make any sense? Anyway, not an RVer's dream for this full-time RVer :)

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Yep, tried them. I too found that they lost air after a while (well, I guess they don't "lose" air, they "gain it back" - thing is, I put some blankets in one, stored it behind the couch, and when it re-inflated it jammed itself in so tight I had a huge struggle getting the bag and blankets out. Does this description make any sense? Anyway, not an RVer's dream for this full-time RVer :)

That makes perfect sense and is exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't plan on having a lot of overnight company but thought I'd bring along linens for the guest bed since we have a queen size here at home. The plan was to put everything into the bags and then put them in the drawer beneath the sofa.

I have this vision of them slowly taking on air until the fluff starts squeezing out of the couch like a marshmallow in a S'more. Lol

I might give it a shot and just remember to check them once a month or so and suck out any air it's gained. I would certainly notice a problem if I store my favorite throw in there as well. I use that thing year around.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have not experienced that problem. The ones left on the bed last October are still under vacuum. When drawing the air out, you need to be mindful of any strings or debris that might get trapped under the valve, and put the caps on. Might even be a good idea to let them sit out in the open for a while, just to be sure they don't leak.

porthole

Retired
Never had any that kept the low pressure. But, I still use them as it is as close to sealed bag as you can get. Good for keeping the items you hardly ever use but still need, clean.
Keeps the bugs out to.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Never had any that kept the low pressure. But, I still use them as it is as close to sealed bag as you can get. Good for keeping the items you hardly ever use but still need, clean.
Keeps the bugs out to.

That's what we ultimately did.

We stored things in the attic. The bags are not heat tolerant. After a while the ripped. Just an FYI.