Rubber Grommets Holding Stove Rack

azhawgrider

Hi, Anybody have a fix/replacement for the rubber grommets that hold up the stove rack? The ones I buy in the RV stores don't last more than a couple days.
Especially if you put a heavy pot of water on the rack. The weight pushes the grommets through the metal stove surface and tears them. I got tired of always replacing them so we now just let the rack rest right on top of the burners. I know that's probably not a good thing.

Thanks,

bdb2047

The rubber gromments I have for stove have a metal washer inside rubber to prevent what is happening to you.They have worked O.K. in 18 months have replaced 4.Just make sure you have correct ones.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another member took his stove grate and used a die to put threads on the ends of the legs. Then he put nuts on them to keep it from sinking.

GOTTOYS

Just as a fluke. I bought a box of #10 sheet metal screws from Lowes. They have a drill bit type of point, a rubber washer bonded to a metal washer. I believe they are used for screwing tin on the side of a pole barn. Anyway I needed to use a couple without the washers. I took the rubber and metal/rubber washer off. After looking at it I thought I wonder if that will fit on the stove? PERFECT FIT! The metal keeps it from sliding up on the leg of the grate and the rubber holds everything tightly in place..I should start packaging and selling these they work so good. It might cost $5-6.00 for a box but you'll find many uses for the screws after you have them...Don

2010augusta

Another member took his stove grate and used a die to put threads on the ends of the legs. Then he put nuts on them to keep it from sinking.

Here is my thread about that mod. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/8616-Range-Grate-mod

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just as a fluke. I bought a box of #10 sheet metal screws from Lowes. They have a drill bit type of point, a rubber washer bonded to a metal washer. I believe they are used for screwing tin on the side of a pole barn. Anyway I needed to use a couple without the washers. I took the rubber and metal/rubber washer off. After looking at it I thought I wonder if that will fit on the stove? PERFECT FIT! The metal keeps it from sliding up on the leg of the grate and the rubber holds everything tightly in place..I should start packaging and selling these they work so good. It might cost $5-6.00 for a box but you'll find many uses for the screws after you have them...Don

would you have a pic of these screws???

GOTTOYS

would you have a pic of these screws???
Correction..I went out to my trailer and grabbed the box. They are actually called Self Drilling Neo Hex Washer Screws. the size is 12-14X3/4 There is a number n the package that is H#35171. I have not seen just the washer anywhere so you need to buy the screws and take the washer off and use just that. The rubber is bonded to the metal part. It's a snug fit but the washer will slide up on the leg of the stove grate and bottom out against the stop on it. They fit tight and don't fall off....Don

Last edited:
Correction..I went out to my trailer and grabbed the box. They are actually called Self Drilling Neo Hex Washer Screws. the size is 12-14X34 There is a number n the package that is H#35171. I have not seen just the washer anywhere so you need to buy the screws and take the washer off and use just that. The rubber is bonded to the meta part. It's a snug fit but the washer will slide up on the leg of the stove grate and bottom out against the stop on it. They fit tight and don't fall off....Don

Just happened to look at posts before heading to Lowes and glad I did. Lowes has it listed as 35 screws for $6.88 and in stock.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Correction..I went out to my trailer and grabbed the box. They are actually called Self Drilling Neo Hex Washer Screws. the size is 12-14X34 There is a number n the package that is H#35171. I have not seen just the washer anywhere so you need to buy the screws and take the washer off and use just that. The rubber is bonded to the meta part. It's a snug fit but the washer will slide up on the leg of the stove grate and bottom out against the stop on it. They fit tight and don't fall off....Don

Oh good! Thought DH bought wrong size when he picked up the #12's...wondered why they fit perfectly...LOL!!!

Hi, Anybody have a fix/replacement for the rubber grommets that hold up the stove rack? The ones I buy in the RV stores don't last more than a couple days.
Especially if you put a heavy pot of water on the rack. The weight pushes the grommets through the metal stove surface and tears them. I got tired of always replacing them so we now just let the rack rest right on top of the burners. I know that's probably not a good thing.

Thanks,

GOTTOYS was absolutely correct. Great thinking Don!

Grommet.jpgScrews.jpg

MC9

I put on a small washer then slid on a faucet washer (the tapered type). I am a plumber not a roofer...

wdk450

I adopted HOG Member 2010 Augusta's threading of the legs fix. I like to have the oil in the frypan, or the omlette egg mixture, pretty much level in the frypan when I cook.

1231ChaseB

Be careful when you raise just the front leg's to clean underneath because that seem's to ruin the back 2 washer's !
chaseb

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
THESE ARE ALSO CALLED "BONDED WASHERS" MOST HARDWARE STORES HAVE THEM LOOSE FOR SALE OR IN SMALL PACKS. GRAINGER HAS THEM NATION WIDE FOR $4.69 PER 100.
Sealing Washer, Bonded, Neoprene with Galvanized Steel, Seal Material EPDM, Fits Bolt Sizes #12, Inside Dia. 0.234 In, Outside Dia. 0.553 In, Thickness 0.146 In, Temp. -75 to 350 F, Color Black/Silver, Application Cushioning, Sealing and Vibration Resistant, Package Quantity 100

Grainger Item #5JUC0
Price (pk.)$4.69
Package Qty.100

Mfr. Model #
5JUC0

5JUA8_AS01

jdfishing

If you are lucky enough to have one of the old style hardware stores near you that sell many items individually, you can usually find these washer/screw combinations in the "self taping" screw section.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Digging around in my collection of spare parts, I found four black jam nuts. So I threaded the legs with a 1/4-20 die and inserted the legs back through the rubber grommets. Doesn't collapse anymore.

GOTTOYS

I have one more set of those washers ready to send out to the first person that sends me a PM...Don

azhawgrider

I'm heading out to buy a package of the screws. My wife keeps tearing up the rubber part when she pulls the grate off to clean under it. Now I'll have some spares.