Cell Phone Coverage and Internet Connection

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Since technology in these fields advances so quickly, and since we are getting close to needing to make a final decision, we wanted to resurrect these topics. (We have read the older posts.)

As we will be full-timers, and not knowing where we might be from one season to the next, we are looking for the best overall cell phone coverage currently available. On-line research shows that Verizon looks to be the best, with Cingular "The New AT&T" coming in a close second. So what say you folks that are really out there? We hope to spend summers somewhere in the area of the Rockies and winters in the South (anywhere from CA to FL). The Rockies seems to be the most questionable area for cell phone coverage.

Next is the internet connection question. We have been planning to go with AutoNet http://www.autonetmobile.com/wp/, but wonder if it would be more cost effective to go with a cellular connection. Autonet is a $400.00 equipment purchase and then $50.00 per month. We both have laptops and are often on-line simultaneously, so a router is necessary. Is there something better within a reasonable price range? What worries me most about any of these connections is upload speed, while Don most appreciates download speed.

Sheri

Princess Kathleen

We have the Verizon set up. I too, did research, and came up with Verizon as the best. So far pretty good service in the eastern half of the US/Canada (fees for using are steep in the Canada area). We also have the pc card for the laptop. No problem on downloading.

PK

jbeletti

Sheri (and Don),

With regard to the autonet Internet solution, I "believe" that device to be a mobile router with an embedded cellular data module. "If" that's what it is, you can get mobile routers for less money. But you'd still have to acquire a cellular data card and service. The autonet service appears to be about $10 per month less than most cellular data package with other providers.

I use Junxion Box, others use the Kyocera KR1 and still others are trying out the Linksys WRT54G3G-ST). Here's sort of a round-up of a few brands with pricing.

Best of luck.

Jim

jbeletti

Here's a link to a comparison chart.

Here's a link to someone who sells a $12 ebook with tips for Internet for RVers.

From a download speed perspective, I'd rank them like this (fastest to slowest):

1. Cable Broadband
2. DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) - Telco
3. Satellite (Hughesnet etc.)
4. Cellular Data Cards
5. Dial-Up

One disclaimer to my ranking above is that there are different levels of service with most of these Internet methods that could affect their download speed ranking. So use these as general guidelines for typical levels of service.

Each one of these has Pros and Cons. Some have higher equipment costs, some have longer service contracts terms, some are rarely available to RVers, some are better for sharing amongst multiple computers.

Jim

vangoes

Thanks Jim,
I currently have DSL at home and try to stay places with WIFI when on the road. I have been considering going to cellular or Hughes for a total solution for home and on the road..............we are about 50%ers.

jpmorgan37

vangoes;

We have Hughes and are happy with it. It's not as fast as DSL but much faster than dial up. Unless you are in the deep woods or in a deep valley between mountain ranges, (like I am now) connecting isn't a problem. It takes me about 20 minutes to do a complete set-up and get online. The basic monthly charge is $59. There is another company, Starband, that has the same type of service and it is $49 a month. Because we go to so many remote places where our cell phone doesn't work, I chose the dish instead of the wireless. If you want more info on the dish setup, let me know.

John

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
John, the satellite looks very interesting to us, but unless we don't know what we're looking for, it looks like it's a minimum of $1500.00 equipment purchase. Right? Wrong?

jpmorgan37

If you buy the package from a dealer, they run $14 to 1600 for a tripod based unit, which gives a lot more flexibility than the roof mounted automatic units for $4 to 6000 dollars. I bought mine a piece at a time and don't have much invested in it. You should be able to get a complete set-up for $400 + or - off of eBay. I did a lot of research and studying before I started. I made a few mistakes but still came out with a minimum investment.

John

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Thanks John, for the additional input.

For those who use your cell phones for internet access, do you also have to pay for an ISP? I read an on-line article that said cell internet did not include the ISP.

Sheri