Exhaust Brakes

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I too would be interested how you like the Mopar exhaust brake. I am looking at purchasing one in the near future. Was looking at Pacbrake and BD exhaust as well as mopar and don't know which to go with. Are you also getting a controller integrated or add on?
Thanks
Wayne

5erWonk

The price I keep getting in CA is $2000...That comes from my Dodge dealer and an idependent shop that installsthe BD.

I have the BD brake, i,m very pleased Iwas told that the chrysler brake on pre 07 dodge,s is very weak. I also tried out the new 07 exaust brake it is awesome. very strong! When i had my BD installed I paid 1400 total about four months ago. Hope this helps I also have 05 3500 dodge Jim Thomas

Country

I have an 06 with a dealer installed Jacobs/Cummins exhaust brake. I like it a lot. When you have a Dodge dealer install, it comes with a 3/36 warranty. Cost me $1600. I test drove a new 07 with the factory installed brake and found it to be noticeably weaker than mine. Had a friend tell me the same thing. I've had the exhaust brake since day one. I now have 30,000 miles on the truck and the brake pads still look like new. I don't think in the long run I'll recover the cost of the exhaust brake in brake job savings, but it's just one less thing to worry about. When you're pulling heavy it's really a plus.

Hope this helps.

Pulltab

I have an 07 with the 7.6L and exhaust brake (turbo brake) it is fantastic. Couple that with the transmission and it will nearly throw you thru the window. :)

I had one put on my Kodiak, it was a BD and the cost was about $1400

Country

I guess the bottom line is, if you're going to be pulling any kind of weight, an exhaust brake is a nice option to have.
All the brands have their pros and cons. Just pick one and you'll be happy. I'm sure happy with mine!:)

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

Our Mopar exhaust brake was $1740 installed at a Dodge dealer in Rapid City SD. Haven't had any real big hills yet but it's performed nicely on the flats and small hills we've encountered so far.

Blessed

I also have the Mopar/Cummins exhaust brake. I think it makes a real difference in taking some of the work off the TV brakes. I use it even when not pulling the trailer. I paid around $1500 installed. I also liked the fact that if anything went wrong with the powertrain, there would be no finger pointing --- all Dodge parts and dealer installed.
Get it --- you'll love it.

HappyKayakers

We just finished our trip from SD to FL via KY and TN. (You can visit our website for all the gory details. None) Anyway, it was really comforting having the exhaust brake through the hills. Our steepest down grade was a 4.5 mile, 6% grade at Monteagle TN. Made it most of the way down in 5th gear, had to drop to 4th when we got stuck behind some slow moving trucks. About halfway down, I deactivated the brake (without changing gears) and immediately started accelerating. Went back to the brake quickly. Don't think we'll have another truck without an exhaust brake.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
What about the Lange brake?

:confused: How does the Lange brake http://www.exhaustbrake.com/langebrk.html
compare with these expensive ones. I am considering it, but am a little nervous. Would like to hear some postive comments before installing one. Looking at their web site, they apparently use the exisiting valve that is on the 7.3 engine, saving some money.