Penguin AC unit extremely loud on Edge M22

Hello, I have a 2010 Edge M22 which we purchased new last summer (still on the lot with the 2011s) and is still under warranty.

Overall we love the trailer, its size and features suit us perfectly.

Our only complaint is the AC unit. It is very loud, especially in the rear of the trailer in the bunk section. This is not fan noise and the quick cool vent is not open. This noise is a low vibration when the compressor kicks on and is loud enough that the entire trailer shakes. I have looked at the mounting bolts to make sure the unit wasn't just coming loose and they are tight.

In researching this unit it seems that this is just the way they are. They may work OK on large trailers but in a trailer this small the noise is unbearable. We love the design of the trailer but the AC noise is enough that we have considered replacing the AC unit or just trading the trailer off all together.

Has Heartland been doing anything to help people effected by this problem? I shouldn't have to purchase a new AC unit out of pocket.

Thanks for any info,

Tony Rendleman

Anybody have any info on this?

I have an appointment for service at my dealer for a couple little fixes before the warranty runs out and I mentioned the AC being loud to them and their reply was "Yeah we've heard about those before..." so maybe they will be of some help.

I really dont think there is a "problem" with the AC unit, I just think they are too loud and not the right fit for this application.

PhotoPete

have you checked that all the other components of the ac system are mounted securely? while its vibrating, start pressing on things to see if you can change the vibration pitch or volume. You may be able to locate the offending part and deal with it.

Birchwood

We had a Penquin installed in our bedroom recently and yes it does sound like a freight train coming through
when it starts.There is some vibration to the structure when it runs.It was a mistake on our part to have
this unit installed but now we are stuck with it.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO OTHER RVers CONSIDERING PURCHASING
ADDITIONAL AIR CONDITIONING TO AVOID THE DOMETIC PENQUIN.

wildwolfproducts

If it were here, I would say 98% its Dirt dobber nest or wasp nest built on the fan . Pull the cover off the unit on top of camper. Look the fan over, these sorry things build there nest in the can cage. Thus throwing it out of balance.
Pete

camr

Hi trendleman. After living with our M-22 for two years, my comment on the Penguin is as follows: Loud as a freight train, and can turn the trailer into a meat locker.
My only wish (other than it being quieter) is to have the thermostat control the compressor only. On ours, when the temperature setting is met, the entire unit shuts off. I wish it would leave the fan running, and cycle only the compressor. I believe that Heartland probably sourced these units based on cost and weight, not a pleasurable customer experience.

pegmikef

I had an Edge M21 with a dometic A/C and that was our main complaint. It too was loud. I think it is the size of the A/C vs. a small trailer and the fact that it is not ducted so all the air and noise dumps in the same area.

bayhawk2

I just bought a 2011 MPG and yes the Dometic A/C is so loud you can't
hear the t.v...It was also making a noise on start up that sounded
like a bad bearing.Yeah i know.Sold as new yet the repair guy said it
was definitely a bad motor bearing.One month old.In the shop now for a
2'nd time.The repair guy said he is waiting to hear what Dometic
will do about this.Will keep you guys updated.

COWBIRD

We just bought a 2013 big country and the second ac unit is so loud and vibrates. Have checked the bolts because it sounds like it is going to vibrate through the roof. Is there any help.

donr827

My dealer was trying to get Dometic to replace our air cond heat pump in the living room because of the vibration. They say that the system is operating as designed and will not replace the unit. They are sending softer grommets to go under the compressor which is suppose to cure the problem. Have to wait and see. Not real happy with Dometic products.
Don

B

BouseBill

just had Direct TV come out and outfit the new rig with HD-DVR in living room and regular tv in the bedroom:D hooked up the TV, cable box, turned on TV and shortly after turned off the Penguin AC unit. It (Penguin) is so loud we could not hear the TV in the bedroom at all.....period. Should have joined this forum prior to purchasing the rig...I'd have had the dealer remove the Penguin and replace it with something a little quieter than a old 707 on departure roll. Come on folks this is (can't say this word)for Heartland, and no it's not wasps nests on the fan blades.:mad:

Swinborn

Just picked up our new 2012 Big Country 3650RL after the dealer worked on the noisy Penguin II AC in the bedroom. Our dealer has 4 full hookups behind the dealership and they prefer that you stay overnight in the RV so if there's anything wrong, they're right there to fix it. Glad we did. We stayed overnight last week, and as in some of the other posts I see, the Dometic Penguin on the front was so loud it was amazing! The service manager said that they've had trouble with all of them and that Heartland and Dometic are trying to blame each other. He said they've replaced them with new ones, but the new one was exactly the same - extremely noisy!

The problem is a Dometic design issue. The compressor on these models lays horizontal and against the pan of the AC unit, apparently to gain the "low profile". However, you basically have metal on metal and when the compressor fires up, it's ungodly loud and "drones" through the ceiling joists. No way could you sleep through that! The fix was to loosen the compressor, install some rubber material between it and the pan, and re-tighten the compressor hold-down nuts. We spent last night in it and there was an unbelievable difference! It was what I'd consider "normal"! These units will have some air movement noise just do to the close proximity of it, but that's doable! We slept with it on last night with no problems.

HOWEVER: Dometic will void the warranty if they find out they have altered it! So the service manager said to be sure to bring it back to them if we have problems. I'll take my chances...... Everything else, so far, seems to be fine. This is our 14th camper over 35 years and we are planning on it being our last, so hope we made a good choice!

jimtoo

Hi Swinborn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Great to hear your dealer took good care of you and had you spend the night at their lots. It's always good to hear good reports about dealers.

Please consider joining the Heartland Owners Club and making some of the rallies in your area or where ever you happen to be.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

donr827

I had the vibration on the main a/c in the living room. As mentioned above Dometic sent the dealer softer mounting grommets for the compressor. Tried it out yesterday and almost all of the vibration is gone. As a side note I was cruising the Dometic and looking at their commercial a/c unit. According to their web site there are three things that they do to the commercial unit to reduce vibration and noise. They use a different grommet. They brace the evaporator, compressor, and fan motor to the frame which is made out of a thicker metal.
They also used longer copper lines.
Don