Wheel Problems

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
OK guys. This is going to sound a llittle strange, but I have now had two wheels start to leak at the weld bead on the inside of the rim. Scott had the manufacturer contact me on the first leak, they ship a new one next day, that was in March. I had about three thousand miles on the RV at the time. I now have about six thousand and the second leak. I contacted the manufacturer and they are now sending out four new Aluminum rims, these are an upgrade by the way. The old rims were the steel crome plated. Can anyone tell me what is going on. I follow the pressures on the tires and check them before each trip, and several times during a trip if it is more than a few days. Hope no one else is having this problem.

Glenn

Last edited:

Cheryl

We just got back from vacation and now our 2 back tires are leaking air. My husband filled them last night all the way (110lbs of air) and now they are down to 40lbs of air. He called Heartland and Randy told him to call Goodyear - gave him a number for a Goodyear near us. Do you mind telling us how much you had to pay for your upgraded rims?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
Well my first question is, do you have the chrome plated steel rims on your unit? If so have a tire dealer check for leaks. I had two that were not a tire problem. They were leaking from the welds on the inside of the rims. The rim company upgraded my rims to the nice forged aluminum ones, at no cost to me. They even reimbursed me for the cost of having the tires remounted on the new rims. If this is the case let me know and I will give you the phone number to the manufacturer.

Glenn

Cheryl

Yes we have the chrome plated wheels. Which tires leaked on your unit? Ours are the back 2. They are leaking from 110lb down to 40lb in a matter of 5 hours. Can you give me the number of the manufacturer. I would like to contact them. I think the wheel is not designed to handle the 110# pressure.
The wheel is stamped with max. 3750 cap. and the tire is marked to use a wheel with the min. 3750 cap. It also has the letters KWC/J.C Korea
stamped in the wheel to. I'm just trying to eliminate another possible tire failure do to the fact that the factory installed wheels that will not support the gvw. of the trailer.
Thanks,
Nelson

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
The weight rating of the rim is not the problem, even the forged aluminum are rated at 3750 lbs. This is calculated by the engineers at the factory. If you have the tires and rims checked for leaks, as I found the rims were leaking at the welds on the inside of the rims. The manufacturer is, Tredit Tire and Wheel, the phone number is (574) 293-0851. You will need to speak to someone in customer service, I spoke to Dan, and give them the seriel number of your trailer, and the purchase date. I hope you get the problem solved, since changing my rims, I have had no trouble. Also, I believe it was the two rear wheels that were leaking.

P.S. While you have the rims off, check your brake linings. I found that mine were delamanating. The axle manufacturer sent me new pads and bearings, of course I had to install them. It was easier than breaking camp and driving and leaving the unit with a service center. I live in mine full time.

Good Luck

Glenn

Cheryl

That last post was from my husband Nelson. I'm sure he has already checked every other possiblility before coming to the conclussion that the rims are the problem. He knows his "stuff" when it comes to things like that. Thanks for the factory information. I'll make sure he gets it.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
Well so much for no problems with the aluminum rims. While driving to California I stopped at the rest area in Donners Pass. Well to my surprise I had a tire going flat. After checking I found that the rim had a hair line crack, called the factory and they said this was the first time they had heard of this happening. A new rim is being shipped to me, but this is getting on my nerves. If I have one more rim problem it may send me over the edge.

Cheryl

Hi Fireflipper,
That is not what I wanted to hear. We have 4 new rims on the way (thanks again for the number - needs a minor correction - 574-293-0581). I think I'll ask Nelson to go over them with a magnifying glass before we leave.
Hope everything else goes good for your trip.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
Well I don't think a magnifiy glass will help. I put abput ten thousand miles on the rims before it started to leak. I still can not see the crack but when it was aired up you could feel the air coming out. I also have one on the way. Good Luck.

Cheryl

Sorry, that was just meant as a joke - albeit a dumb one:D. Anyway, hope you don't have anymore problems on your travels. Lucky you getting to full time. Can't wait until we can, probably not for another 20 years.:(

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
I am a retired firefighter, hence the nick name, due to a bad shoulder injury. The guys heckled me about that until I retired and will till the day I die. So there is not much you can say or due that I don't look at from the funny side. Let me know how you like the new rims, I think they look alot better than the steel ones.

Glenn

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
I am a retired firefighter, hence the nick name, due to a bad shoulder injury. The guys heckled me about that until I retired, and will till the day I die. So there is not much you can say or do that I don't look at from the funny side. Let me know how you like the new rims, I think they look alot better than the steel ones.

Glenn

Cheryl

Sorry to hear about your injury. How is your shoulder now? Did you get hurt on the job?
We got the new rims and had them mounted on Sunday. Friday we are leaving for Cedar Point for the weekend about 350 miles round trip. Then, it's going back in the garage until October. So, hopefully there won't be any problems with these rims.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
Yes I did hurt it on the job, back in 94, was out of work for nine months. The shoulder never got completely better, but I was able to go back to work.
Do you mean Ceder Point, Ohio? Been about 35 years since I was there. Enjoy the trip and hope youhave no more wheel problems. Recieved my new rim today, will have it remounted tomorrow.

Cheryl

Yeah, 2 of the 3 kiddies are going with us, plus 1 of their friends. Should be a fun trip. We all are excited to ride the Top Thrill Dragster. The campground is a little pricey, but it's only for 3 nights. As to the rims, We both need to keep our fingers crossed.

jbeletti

Cheryl,

After your visit to Cedar Point, please consider posting a mini review in the Campgrounds forum on the CG you stayed at.

My kids want to go to Cedar Point to the amusement park and conquer the coasters at yet another park. Been thinking of a way to camp there myself

Have fun!

Jim

Cheryl

Don't need to wait, we stay at Cedar Point's Camper Village. Like I said above, it is pricey, but worth it. The Magnum roller coaster runs right along side the campground. You get to go into the park early. And can go back to your camper as often as you want for food, clothing changes (comes in handy after the water rides), or just to get away from the crowds for a little while. The sites are clean although not real large, the pull throughs are bigger than the back-ins. Just be sure to let them know your length and amount of slides. We stay at the electric only sites. When you are only there for the weekend, it's not worth the extra $15.00 a day for water and sewage. You have beach access and a pool at the full hook-up side. Once at the campground, you can buy discount tickets for the park. We usually get the 2 day ride and slide passes.

Last edited:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

OK folks, I just had another rim start leaking. There is a pin hole on the inside of the rim, Aluminum by the way. This is the second one to start to leak. I had two steel rims start to leak at the welds. Am I the only one having this problem? I am very puzzled about this situation. Talked to Scott and he was going to call the manufacturer, so far they have replaced them but it is getting to be a pain in the A**.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I just gat a call that my new aluminum rim is in. I can start with 80 psi and in two days be at 40 or less. So far just one for me!

Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Phil
Well I feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one having this problem. This is the second aluminum rim leaking and I had two steel leak prior to that. Scott was suppose to call the rim manufacturer and have them get back to me, that was last thursday, so far no calls. I will have to call them directly on Monday, plan on hitting the road again in a couple of weeks so I don't like the idea of traveling with a bad spare.