Another surge protection question

racingzr

Hi all,
Owner of a new Elk Ridge and have been checking out the site and all the good info. Like many on here, I agree that surge protection is cheap insurance. I am looking at the progressive models but am trying to decide on portable or hard wired. The other issue I have is that we have a 50A on the camper but only a 30A hookup at our seasonal site. I have an adapter to convert.
My question is how would a portable work with this set up? Does it need to be connected directly to the service? Would a hard wired be the best way to go for me in this situation?
I'd like a portable because I would probably need some help with the hardwire but I don't want to have buy a second surge protector if we go to a site with 50A service. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

GOTTOYS

Portable or hard wired will give you the same protection. A 50 amp unit will also work on a 30 amp service with an adapter. If you don't plan to move your trailer from the site it's on, you could save a few bucks and go with a 30 amp unit. I have a 50 amp Progressive portable model. I've used it with an adapter on a 30 amp service several times. It works fine. Progressive used to offer much better protection than the Surge Guard brand. The newest Surge Guards have been upgraded to about the same specs...I bought a portable unit so I wouldn't have to try and crawl into the small space in my trailer to wire in an permanent unit....Don

jnbhobe

Mine is 50amp hard wired, I don't want it to grow legs if I leave it down in the mountains for a couple of weeks.

racingzr

I can understand worries about theft. After looking at the directions online, I wouldn't be comfortable installing it myself. But I have some friends who are electricians that would do it for some beer most likely!
For the portable unit......would it be ok to buy a 50A portable and attach it to my adapter? Will it still work properly if not directly connected to the electrical box?

TXTiger

Besides theft concerns, would a portable unit be subjected to the elements and have a higher fail rate or are they pretty well insulated?